13" or 15" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by canes960, Jul 5, 2009.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

should i go with a 13" with a external monitor or a 15" by itself.

I'm going to be using it on the web alot, some video editing, minimum. Posting not any games except games like flash games nothing big. its just going 2 stay in my house mainly. Also this is my first Apple Purchase.

i would get a 23" monitor

Thanks,
    Peyton:cool:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'd be better off with a 24".

Get something 1920x1200 if you get an external monitor, but I don't suppose you need a monitor for your work.

On the other hand, if it isn't going anywhere and you want a second screen, get what you wish.

Congrats, and welcome to the Mac world. For any basic assistance and tutorials, check out the movies on Apple's website and the guides on our website. You can find the guides at the top right in the list of tabs.

3. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

so you saying i should go with 13"

i might still get a ex. monitor with a 15"

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, you wouldn't necessarily need an external monitor to do what you plan to do, so it's a matter of opinion.

You said that it won't be doing much moving, in which case a second monitor is a fine idea. But then if you wouldn't have gotten a second monitor with the 15", the decision would have been between that.

Since you may get one either way, I say why not? Grab a good 24" Dell or a Cinema Display (old or new) if you can wrangle one for a decent price.

5. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

in your opinion is the 2 inch worth $200

im not getting a apple cinema 2 pricey im prolly going with the dell 24" for $219

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The skillster is right; it's a matter of personal preference. Any current mac should meet your stated needs. You need to determine how much portability and screen space you need.

The 13" and an external monitor is considered to be a sweet spot for many. Extra portability for when you want to go mobile, and a decent larger screen for when you don't.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That about sums it up; if you really want an extra monitor (yet still allowing mobility) go for the 13" and an extra monitor. However, the 15" has an excellent screen, (I have one, it's my main computer and I don't feel the need to use a monitor) and you probably will not need a monitor if that is what you choose.

Cheers and good luck

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Why the large text?

The 15" and 13" are the same weight (for all practical purposes) so if you can afford it, more screen real estate is better.