13" or 15 " MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by canes960, Aug 2, 2009.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

Okay, I'm interested in a MBP. I've been in the PC world 15 years too long,I'm 15. This will be my first Mac/Apple Computer product. I have looked on this forum for stuff so please don't say go look at MRoogle. I will be using this laptop at least everyday for 2 hours a day because I work online. I will probably use it more and on the side I do a little video editing and website creating. I'm looking at the 13" Macbook Pro (2.26 2.53) or the 15" (2.53). If i get the 13" i will get a external monitor.Do you have any suggestions?

My mom has a Dell Mini 9 and i absolutely hate the keyboard, its way to small. Is the 13" Macbook Pro keyboard small. I'm using a Sony Vaio VGN-N320E and ABSOLUTELY HATE it.

Thank you for you help,
    Peyton

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

It is definitely not like a mini 9 ( and I hear your pain ) both the 13" and 15" MBP's have full keyboards as far as I am aware. If I was you I would get the 15 inch it is still very portable but you have more screen real-estate to work with which will be nice for the video editing. I would suggest you go to an Apple store and see which one you like its always best to go hands on before making a decision.

3. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I was going 2 go for the refurbished store but i want the SD and the 7 hours of battery. If I get the 15" i don't get tax free if I get the 13" i get tax free because the limit is $1500.

4. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I was going 2 go for the refurbished store but i want the SD and the 7 hours of battery. If I get the 15" i don't get tax free if I get the 13" i get tax free because the limit is $1500.

5. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    It's the best thing you can do right now. Buy the 13" base model. The 2.26Ghz one. You will get portability, power, and you will also get an external display for video editing. Unless you're so busy you rarely stay at home working, the 13" one with an external display will work more than fine.

6. Cosmotose macrumors newbie

Cosmotose

I am having a similar debate. 13" against 15"... I'm looking for my first mac too... well, first since '94, anyways :D

What really helps is just writing down a list of pros and cons of each. It'll make the choice a little clearer. Something like...

13"
    Pros:
    -More portable
    -Less expensive
    Cons:
    -Slower processor
    -Non-dedicated graphics

15"
    Pros:
    -Better specs
    -More screen
    Cons:
    -Less portable
    -More expensive

...for example.

I, personally, have decided to go with the 15". I'm a film major, and FCP just won't run on anything less than 2.66 GHz. But if you'll only be working with FCE, you won't need the faster processor. And since you're not looking at the 15" with that spec anyways, unless you really really want that dedicated graphics card, save the money for a nice monitor and go for the 13".

On another note, I've heard the keyboard is rather nice and responsive, even on the 13" model. Honestly, I wish the specs for the high end 15" came in the 13" model, just because its cute and tiny :p

Anyways, that's just my two cents but I hope it helped! Good luck :)

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe the 13" keyboard is the same size as the 15" keyboard.

I'd go 13", it truly is a great size to work with.

8. Branskins macrumors 65816

Cosmotose, go to the Apple store and play around with both! After going, I really loved the 13" and will hopefully be picking it up soon :)

9. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

If your worried about speed I say get an iMac otherwise I would get the 13" with an external screen

10. lazylightnin macrumors newbie

I'd get the 13" unless you go all the way to one of the fastest of the 15"ers because only there will you get the dual graphics processors (9400M+ in the store listing)

The 13 incher is significantly easier to lug around, is less conspicuous, and less likely to attract thieves (I've had two stolen on trips)

I use a 13" as a music server and for trips & a desktop for work (graphics).

My wife uses a fast 15"er & the incredible 22" Wacom drawing tablet/touch screen for graphics.

11. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I would go for the base 13" for your needs. The 13", 15", and 17" all have the same size keyboard also the 15" 2.53GHz MBP does not have a dedicated GPU it uses the 9400M like the 13". You would have to purchase the 15" 2.66GHz MBP to get the 9600M GT.

12. opera57 macrumors 6502

I would probably go for the 13" with an external screen, especially if you are going to be using it as your main machine. Unless you need the 9600M GT which is in the 15" (for example if you play games or will do anything graphical intensive) i'm sure the 13" will be plenty of a machine for your needs! [​IMG]