13" or 15" rMBP for College?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by triplenick, Jun 19, 2013.

?

The 13" or the 15" rMBP?

1. 13"

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. 15"

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. triplenick, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

triplenick macrumors newbie

triplenick

While I intend to wait until Apple releases its new rMBPs (crossing my fingers for before September), I would like to know which form factor is better for college.

I intend on studying Computer Science and Economics.

I don't intend on doing any intense video editing. I may play a few low-power video games occasionally, such as Minecraft.

If anyone has any experience with either of these two form factors and would like to provide his or her opinion, that would be great!

Thanks!

2. Firesign3394 macrumors regular

I study computer science and I have been using the 13'' retina Macbook Pro for a few months now. The portability is amazing. I would not go back to a 15 inch laptop after using this.

3. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

it looks like the 13 inch suit your needs.

the only thing i find it better on 15 inch is the workspace though.

you can put two documents side by side for better productivity

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would say get the 13" and then if you really need it you can get a nice external monitor for a couple hundred dollars for working at your desk.

The smaller footprint is handy for using in your lap or on the fold-out desks that are often used in lecture halls, plus every bit of weight you can save in your backpack every day is a big help.

5. red321red321 macrumors regular

seems like the 2013 macbook air would be a much better choice than the 13" retina

6. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

13. I don't think air is good for you, maybe only if you need longer stamina, but who stays at school for more than 7 hours? however if you plan to buy it keep in mind to get 8 giga ram... mine pro was sloooow and often out of memory when it was 4....I don't know but sunday when I tried air at best buy it didn't give me the feeling of a pro computer.... i don't like the shape, but maybe I'm wrong :D

7. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

If you are playing intensive games like Minecraft I would recommend getting a gaming PC such as the ones offered by Alienware or MSI, a desktop MIGHT be necessary depending on if you want to have your render distance set to far as opposed to tiny.

8. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

You can play Minecraft just fine on a half-decade old MacBook; my brother does this every day.

The 13" Retina is great. I have one now (I had the Haswell 13" Air), having the extra screen real estate at 1680 x 1050 really comes in handy in a pinch.