Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joannaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
hi, so i have no idea if i should get the 13" or 15" macbook pro..
Right now im in high school, but next year i will be going to university. I don't know what i will do in uni but it will most likely be just a general year and take some intro courses in the social/social-sciences.

Anyways, Im not sure if i should get the 13" because its easier to carry around (i dont know how often i will be taking it to class though), and its lighter, however the screen size is really small..

OR, the 15" because i honestly love the bigger screen, im on the 13" right now and the screen seems really small and cramped. But i am used to the 17" (old macbook pro), so I might just have to get used to the 13" still.

I will be mostly using it for, writing essays, power points, social networking, and I occasionally edit some videos on imovie...

So 13" or 15"?

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I'd go with the 15 inch. You get way more pixels and the option for a matte screen. Hardly anyone uses a laptop in university classes, maybe no one for classes that matter. Although some people use a laptop between classes, but now that smartphones are getting quite popular, there's not much point of carrying a laptop to undergraduate classes.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Do you think it's worth it to pay more for the 15"? I like the 13" form factor due its portability but 15" ain't that much bigger. If you think it's worth it to pay more for the 15", then go ahead. Extra screen estate is always nice

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
I'd go with the 15 inch. You get way more pixels and the option for a matte screen. Hardly anyone uses a laptop in university classes, maybe no one for classes that matter. Although some people use a laptop between classes, but now that smartphones are getting quite popular, there's not much point of carrying a laptop to undergraduate classes.
Uh, I have to disagree here on essentially everything you've said. Notebooks are extremely popular in all of my classes with many, many people - hell, we even use then in calculus (GG digital textbook). Taking notes on a "smartphone" is near impossible, so I'm unsure why you even brought them up. As a current nontraditional college student, I can't recommend enough taking a notebook with you to classes - it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. You may not need it every class, but it's really indispensable in general. Get yourself a copy of Pages, make up a layout for taking notes (two colums - right side for notes and the left side for summaries and quiz questions), and have at it. All your notes at your fingertips.

Oh, as far as screen size, here's my take. I own two notebooks that I swap depending on what mood I'm in - a 13" MacBook and a 14" Lenovo. I do everything that I need on my notebooks without problems - this includes playing the original Starcraft, Warcraft 3, PvZ, World of Warcraft (when I was still playing), MW2, etc. For someone on a budget, the 13" screen will do just perfectly, I promise.

Also, speaking as a college student, the smaller the laptop the better (excluding netbooks - a little too small!). The less weight you have in your backpack provides for a happy back!

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Unless you really have a professional need for the additional screen estate and/or the improved tech specs, it makes little sense to pay the 600$ difference. The 13 is an ideal form-factor. My opinion.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
15" for a primary computer. 13" for a secondary computer and/or if you travel a lot. 15" is a little cumbersome on the food tray for me.

No1nfoProvided

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
15" unless you're bringing a second computer with you. I have a 15" myself that fits easily in my backpack that I just bring around with me like a book to class, etc. If you have a second computer that you're gonna be doing your main work on, I would go for the 13". Otherwise I really like the 15"

The 801

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
Son bought 15" 3 years ago for college,
Just went though the exercise of replacing my daughters macbook from high school with a macbook pro for her freshmen year at college.

My son told my daughter to skip the 15" and go for the 13". She did and is very satisfied. The weight difference matters. If you can, wait til the the student package is offered in the fall, and use the money you save to upgrade the ipod they throw in. (I know, you want it now) Do not get a macbook, its body is too flexible for day to day carrying around. That one piece aluminum keyboard piece makes a lot of difference in the longevity. And PURCHASE THE EXTENDED WARRANTY WHEN YOU FIRST BUY IT. That dang warranty has saved us literally thousands of dollars. It is peace of mind when the ship hits the span. And it will.

Also, skip the microsoft office package and get iworks.

The 801

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
Just went though the exercise of replacing my daughters macbook from high school with a macbook pro for her freshmen year at college.

My son told my daughter to skip the 15" and go for the 13". She did and is very satisfied. The weight difference matters. If you can, wait til the the student package is offered in the fall, and use the money you save to upgrade the ipod they throw in. (I know, you want it now) Do not get a macbook, its body is too flexible for day to day carrying around. That one piece aluminum keyboard piece makes a lot of difference in the longevity. And PURCHASE THE EXTENDED WARRANTY WHEN YOU FIRST BUY IT. That dang warranty has saved us literally thousands of dollars. It is peace of mind when the ship hits the span. And it will.

UltimaLink

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Somewhere in PA.
Wait for the 13" to get an i3 or i5. Then decide.

You could also buy a monitor, magic mouse, and wireless keyboard, set it up on your desk in your dorm, and when you're done with classes for the day, go back in, and hook up your laptop to the monitor and connect everything else. Bam, you have a bigger screen.

Right now, there's no contest, the 15 inch is obviously the better deal due to the i5, but when Apple gives the 13" an i5 or i3, the 13" will be worth the money.

Though, check what college you're going to, I know the one I plan on going to gives me a MacBook Pro 13", maybe you'll get a similar deal.

GDOX316

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
13" for sure. i had a macbook before i got a macbook pro 15" (early 08) and i barely use the 15" anymore. its just too cumbersome.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
13" for sure. i had a macbook before i got a macbook pro 15" (early 08) and i barely use the 15" anymore. its just too cumbersome.

I say the exact opposite. I just sold my brand new 13" for a 15". I agree with the others; if its your only computer, 15" no question. 13" is OK, but not really powerful enough to be a primary. Maybe for a basic user, but not for me. :D

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010

I suggest not buying AppleCare until the one year warranty is almost up, set a reminder in iCal if you need to. Its gives you more time to get familiar with the condition and probability of breakdown of your mac before you decide whether or not to get AC. Also, I usually get AC from reliable 3rd party sellers online, not from apple who charge exorbitant prices. Check MRoogle for relevant threads on this.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
15" for a primary computer. 13" for a secondary computer and/or if you travel a lot.

Having two laptops isn't cumbersome? :confused: Superfluous I'd say.

Unless you really have a professional need for the additional screen estate and/or the improved tech specs, it makes little sense to pay the 600$ difference. The 13 is an ideal form-factor. My opinion.

I have a 13" and it only hinders me when I use Lightroom and Photoshop. But other than that, I love the form factor of the 13". The 15" will only benefit you if you want more screen space and resolution. This too…
ark.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

It's always good to get a BT keyboard and mouse and hook it up to an HDTV.

Last edited by a moderator:

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I just finished college and used a 15" MBP for the four years... and now that I'm applying to medical school (and my parents want a laptop), I think I'll be giving them my old 15" MBP and getting a 13" MBP for the next four years of school.

The 15" was just a tad too large and cumbersome for my tastes. I brought my laptop to class occasionally, but I brought it to the library or used it outside (yay full wireless coverage) quite often, and I would have appreciated the 13" form factor...

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
The 15' is only good to bring out occasionally, the 13' is good to bring out frequently, and the iPad is good to bring out daily.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Trust me 13 is the best in your case (get an external for 200 if its that important to you to have a big screen). I used my 12in ibook for undergrad in 2002-2005, then a 13 in macbook pro for grad school!!! Yes its a 2 lbs difference but its a huge difference when you are typing on a small desk in class or lugging it around on campus.

I brought my computer with me on campus every day that I was there. Its really useful and to be honest, its an advantage to have access to documents, internet, pdfs, etc... all the time. And the occasion FB while in class LOL.

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Yeah if you're going to carry it everyday it won't be a joke to carry even an ounce extra. You can laugh at your friends lugging heavy baggages.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I carry my 15" MBP 2 miles to university and back, it's never bothered me with it's extra heft. I don't regret it in the slightest.

PhelpsiPhan

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
New Jersey
I carry my 15" MBP 2 miles to university and back, it's never bothered me with it's extra heft. I don't regret it in the slightest.

I have the 13, love the portability, but have regretted that i didnt get a 15 from day one for the screen real estate to play with

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.