13" or 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rip-the-jacker, Aug 24, 2011.

1. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

Hey guys.

I start college tomorrow and am going to be purchasing a MBP. My question is should I get the base model 13" or the base 15"? There is quite a difference in price, but want to know if the base 13" will be powerful enough for CS5? if so that's fine, but...will the extra screen real estate on the 15" make a difference for using at college in graphic design.

To note, I have a mac pro and iPad, so won't really be using the MBP in Starbucks etc, I have the iPad for that.

Thanks for reading guys!

RTJ

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

if you want to do graphic design, i would say you need the extra screen real estate of the 15".

Although I've heard people say that the 13" is good for CS5 (I'm sure one of them will comment soon)

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

did u not bother searching for this?

they both can handle photoshop, its depends on how much u want to spend and if u require the extra screen real estate

4. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, reading up now.

By the looks of things the 15" is seeming to be more suitable...

RTJ

5. LostParadox macrumors member

For doing Graphic design and running CS5 after getting in to large amounts of layers you will be happy to have the quad-core even if you get the base 2.0ghz i7 vs the 2.2ghz. The screen size makes a huge difference from the 13"

6. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the gfx card in the base 15" model still one for futurproofing as I don't want to buy it and have to get a new one a few years down the line?

RTJ

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

eeh, i would say no just because the memory amount isn't really that good, tbh. 256mb = less than a lot of integrated controllers, even though it is faster...

8. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

It really depends on your budget man.

I got the 13" and still saved money by getting a case, sleeve, RAM, external monitor, school supplies, snacks and the rest towards books.

If I got the 15", it just would have been the laptop and RAM.