13" or 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

Hello,

So I have been holding out on buying a MacBook Pro for a year now, waiting for today's "refresh." The thing I am unsure about is whether to go with a modified 13" with a final price after discounts of $2692, or a 15" with a final price after discounts of $2858, both modified to my needs. I do a lot of video editing/rendering in Final Cut Pro X, so performance/export time is important. It essentially comes down to dual-core (13") vs quad-core (15") The dual core has a higher clock speed, but I don't think that matters as much as how many cores it has. To me, for a $166 difference, I might as well go for the 15". Also, is it worth waiting another year for Broadwell? I don't HAVE to have it now. I sure don't want to pay for it now.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

without a doubt get the 15" for sure , and the broadwell wait thing , depends on you sure its going to be a big update , but it really depends on if you have the patience to wait a year cause its not coming till at minimum next march or later , regardless both machines are great , im buying the 750m 2014 on friday cause its tax free weekend cause i need it for school , and imo if i wait a year all ill be thinking about each day is when it will comeout and ill end losing up my sanity by the time it releases lol

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If you don't mind the larger laptop, get the 15. It's a lot more power for essentially the same money.

4. tagy macrumors regular

15" every time I would only consider the 13" if you travel with it a lot.

5. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Good idea, wait for Broadwell - it's only a year. Then, after that, wait for Skylake - it'll only be another year. Don't stop there! In a year from then, Cannonlake will be out!

Either way, whenever you are content with getting it, get the 15. (Unless you wait till they fit 17 inch in the same body. Convincing, right?)

Seriously though, a new model has just been released. Get it now and enjoy it!

6. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

15" all the way - Quad core cpu, better GPU, 16GB of ram, more screen real estate.