13" or 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mfaye21, Feb 5, 2010.

1. mfaye21 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I am just another person waiting for the new mbp's. I am a junior in high school and this will be my first mac. I have been planning on getting the 13 inch and have saved enough money for it. With selling my current laptop I should have enough for a 15 inch one. Now the question is..which one? I will be using my mbp for internet, office, heavy use of ilife, and light photoshop cs3 use. I am planning on this being my college laptop too. I need it to be somewhat portible. What do you guys think? And I know that there are already threads on this but none of them fit me.
    Thanks for the help!:apple:

2. phrint macrumors 6502

Go to the Apple store and test out both of them. Come to your own conclusion as to which is best for you.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just wait until you actually go to college to buy one.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

13": less resolution, less weight (grams), less space to take away
    15": more resolution, more weight, more space to take away

Both laptops are quite portable, I have a 13" and had a 15" and now also have a 17". The 13" has a good handling, the 15" is the middle, and the 17" can be quite a pain.

I would go with the 15" just for the better resolution, which might come in handy in PS.

5. mfaye21 thread starter macrumors regular

Have you used the 13" for any photo editing? Was it really difficult?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I've started with a 12" G4 iBook with 1024 x 768 pixel, it was okay then, but when I got a 13"MB and used a 12MP camera that saved photos as RAW, the 13" became quite small. Nowadays I use it at work for browsing or transcoding or other calculations, and I just find the resolution to small.

So if you edit more than 3 photos per day that are bigger than 10MP, the 13" is definitely to small. And that is a bold statement of course, as others can do that with 13" quite good.

PS: A friend of mine works with photos and graphics and started with a 13". He could live with that for 2 years, but since 2008 he switched to a 15".

7. mfaye21 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks! i defintally dont edit 3 pictures a day. Maybe one at most. I guess I should get the 13".