13" or 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stixcom92, Feb 11, 2010.

1. stixcom92 macrumors newbie

Yes, one of these threads. So I'm waiting for arrandale, and just a quick question - 13" or 15"? Using 13" blackbook right now, and it's portable, but i can't fit much on the screen, and pro tools/logic (main use) is pretty slow on it. If I get a 15", how will the weight compare, and will the extra screen size be worth it? This is also for college, btw. Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You should definitely get the 17"

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

i would totally get the 13" if they offered one with the resolution of the 15. However, the ammount of pixels on the 13" is just too small for me and I'm not going to mess around with a separate display.

It's that simple.

6. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

If you will be taking it with you wherever you go, i would go with the 13". If you are going to leave it at home a majority of the time, then go 15 or 17. I would say your best bet is to go to the apple store and pick them up and hold them and compare that way. Everyone is just going to tell you from what they actually have...

7. coolwine macrumors newbie

What will you be using the laptop for? The 13" model has limited processor speeds smaller graphics cards and a smaller standard hard drive. The 15" model has the Potential to last longer before becoming obsolete because you can spec it out. I have the 15" model that i spec-ed out after the refresh last june and i do not regret it. I am an architecture student and needed all the power i can get along with portability, for me it was a no brainer since i wanted the larger screen on the run and better specs. They are expensive so choose wisely! lol

8. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, it's about time that all the MBP displays got a bump. Hopefully also IPS like iPad and iMac.

I would go with 13". I have a 15" and wish I had the smaller one. Especially if you dock yours into a large monitor like I do when you're at home. If you're going to use the monitor on the machine constantly--even at home--then 15" would probably be better. Though for my design work, I'd get a 17" if that was all I could use. Or an iMac and iPad for the same price. But that's my use.

9. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

+1 for the 13". If you have tons of money to blow (which I sure don't) buy the 15". Otherwise, it's a much better deal to get the 13" and buy a 3rd party external monitor. Then you'll have 2 monitors to work with :D . That's what I did when I had a MacBook.

10. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

base mbp 13 1099 vs base mbp 15 1699

thats a $600 difference. You could get a external 24" IPS display like the Dell U2410 or HP LP2475W, a good keyboard, and mouse for more than likely less than the $600 difference. And a 24" monitor is much more useful than the 2" difference between a 13" and 15". Or even look at 22" and 23" IPS monitors like the Dell 2209WA and NEC EA231WMi which are priced around $200 and $300 and then put in a SSD and upgrade the Ram to 4GBs and still be under the $600 difference.
    In other words +1 for the 13"

12. ammusk macrumors regular

Why don't you go to the Apple Store and check both of them out?

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Go to the apple store and try both the demos, thats what I'd do, but there are no Apple stores in New Zealand, only apple resellers that are too cheap to put demos in their store lol

14. MikeSantor macrumors regular

Im in the exact same situation you are only I have a new 13 inch pro. I think I finally convinced myself to go with the 15...

15. EuroBrit macrumors member

If you are waiting for Arrandale, then wait and see if the 13" gets a resolution improvement before making up your mind.

16. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

yeah I would go with the 15''.. it seems to be the perfect balance between screen size and portability. I have a 13'' now and I want to eventually get a 15'' when the new ones come out.. its annoying how little you can fit on the screen.

17. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

+1 for the 13". It's more portable than the 15" and it's a fantastic machine ---> I love mine!!! :apple: :)

18. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

19. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

15" It's way nicer to use, It's the standard for apple (they almost advertise all their apps with the 15") If you plan to travel with it i'd still go with the 15"... It's not way bigger, nor way heavier, I've been carrying bigger and twice heavier laptops for years without crying, and you REALLY feel those 2"

20. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

In general, I advise to go for smaller laptops: they fit better with most people I know. However where there is a particular need, such as using pro tools, I would advise to go for the larger screen model.

Yes there is a difference between the sizes, and it is noticeable with the laptop on your lap (I have a 13" macbook and 15" macbook pro), however it is not noticeable when in a bag taking it from place to place.

If you would get more done on with a larger screen, that should be your deciding factor

21. JTStarkiller macrumors member

JTStarkiller

Quick question. I was looking at the 13" and 15", and noticed that the text (underneath the icons on the desktop) and everything on the 13" looked... well... different. Almost like it was running OS 9 or something (like it was just a tad bit "blockier"). Were my eyes deceiving me, or does the 13" screen have a different look to it due to the lower resolution?

22. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

to an extent all screens are slightly different to eachother and may present subtle differences. But the font used is OS-based (AFAIK), so perhaps if it was radically different, someone may have changed a setting (perhaps taken smoothing off etc?)

23. JTStarkiller macrumors member

JTStarkiller

Yeah, that might've been what was going on. Just making sure. I'm debating between the 13 and the 15 as well when the Arrandales arrive, and for some reason that little font "look" bothered me enough to want a 15. :rolleyes:

Although I'm sure I can go back to considering it now.

24. laurenjeanbean macrumors newbie

i'm going to be buying the updated 13". as a student, it's above a macbook but it's still lightweight and is a great machine. it's also the most portable! but it depends what you're using it for.