13" or 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Readinglevelup, May 24, 2010.

1. Readinglevelup macrumors member

Readinglevelup

I'm going to university next year. Trying to make it into medical school or some kind of science.

Anyways, I don't know which mbp I should get. I'm wondering if the 15" is too much power and I could do the same with the 13".

What I'm looking at is:

15" with only a 500GB upgrade, it's 7200 rpm, though. The 13" is 5400 rpm for all HDs.

Anyways, same with the 13", only a bigger HD (500GB).

The price difference is 600$. I don't know if the 600$ extra will be worth it.

I've never had a powerful computer, so I could never use the more intense applications like Final Cut Pro.

What I plan to do with my computer is:

Web surfing, word, powerpoint, logic pro, photoshop, media (music always on) and some video editing. I might make some music videos, so I want to know if the 13" can run FCP for some simple multiple video editing (like filming 5 instruments and putting them in one video).

Anyways, thanks!

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

IMO, the 15" is worth it. From the screen real estate to the power.

You should consider how much desk space it'll take up since you're going to school.

3. adammjenkins macrumors member

I am in practically the same boat. The only curve ball that I am facing is that I much prefer the anti-glare screen, which is only offered with the high resolution 15" model. I like the idea of how portable the 13" is (and as you mentioned, it'll be quite a bit easier on the wallet), but I am looking at where I will be with my computer in 3 or 4 years. With Core 2 Duos on their way out (likely to be fully replaced with Intel's new "i" chips in the not-too-distant future), I have to consider the longevity of the purchase.

I also have to take into consideration that with such a high re-sale value, once the C2D starts showing its age in a few years, the option is available to sell it off and upgrade. I am not used to this option as a long-time Windows user. (I'd probably have to pay someone to take my 1.6 Core Duo Dell e1505). I'm not sure what this laptop will be replacing for you, but I know for me (at least at the moment), the Core 2 Duo will be at least double the computer that I am using right now.

Despite the the re-sale value argument, I am still leaning toward the low end (2.4 i5) 15" because I think that the higher resolution and anti-glare display will be a more enjoyable experience.

If I go with the 13", in a couple years (when I begin to notice the limitations of the C2D), hopefully solid state drive prices will be more reasonable and I can upgrade for significant performance improvements. Only you can make the call. Let us know what you decide... your reasoning could help me and others. haha :)

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd go for the 13" Its easy to carry around, its not too expensive, and it will be able to run all the apps you listed. I recommend you get 4GB of RAM and a Solid State Drive (you won't need a huge SSD since you don't need tons of storage). I've got a 13" MacBook Pro and I find that it can do all those things:D

5. Readinglevelup thread starter macrumors member

Readinglevelup

Actually, I need tons of storage.

Music by itself will reach up to 150GB including the uncompressed music I'll be making in logic pro. I'll be making youtube videos so that adds a lot because of the raw video.

I don't even know if my 500GB will last, I might need an external hard drive in the long run.

By the way, Adam, I'm probably gonna decide today (may 25) because I want a new computer as soon as possible. I'll probably come on here to say my decision. haha

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well, ya certainly can't get a SSD then:eek:

7. adammjenkins macrumors member

Awesome! According to the MacRumors front page, the Back To School deal will be starting tomorrow. (The post strangely lacks a source, though). If it does turn out to be true, definitely take advantage of the free iPod and also don't forget about the free printer deal, too. In all, it'll $300 off after rebates. Those two, plus the education discount is a pretty sweet deal!

8. rockerbsbn macrumors newbie

Go to the Apple store and try em out! I read a bunch of people saying the 15" was the perfect size, but it just felt to big for me, and I'm getting the 13" in a day or two.

9. danistyping macrumors regular

I do everything you do and I have a 13" macbook pro. I installed a 750gig hard drive, again, for the same reason as you - i have a lot of music and movies, and i record using garageband and logic pro.

You don't need a core i5 or i7. If you ever become hardcore with Logic Pro and you've got 45 tracks with 10 effects on each track....then you may want an i5. Something tells me you're more of a casual user than that.

The i5 and i7 are pro grade. You're more of a jack of all trades. The 13" is a very well rounded machine and will save you much needed money for college. Upgrade the HDD to 750gigs for 100 bucks at www.newegg.com

Don't upgrade the HDD through apple - they rape you.

10. Readinglevelup thread starter macrumors member

Readinglevelup

Doesn't installing a hard drive void your warranty? If so, I don't know if I should.

I think I'm going with the 13". I need to save money for other expenses and I think I can work with a 13" like you said. I'm not having much trouble with my mid 2007 macbook in logic pro. Even if it takes forever in FCP, I think it can work better with the MBP because it doesn't have 1GB of ram. haha

11. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

15" is worth it in the long term. you'll be able to do more things with it.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nope. Installing Hard drives and RAM do not void your warrenty. Have a nice life!

13. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

+1 to no voids! but it does suck cause when it comes down to it, apple forces you to upgrade to a whole new laptop eventually since the cpu/gpu is non changeable :( but its cool with me! makes me wonder what the next gens will look like :D

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Apple's computers are probably not going to have any radical design changes for the next several years. I mean, how could they make the MacBook Pro's look better on the outside than they do now? Sure, they will of course eventually do a overhaul. But not for a while yet. They'll be focusing on the guts of the machines:D

15. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

thats exactly what i thought. how could they change something that's already perfect in every aspect. besides the color? lol but anyways, i love the unibody aluminum and i hope they never change it!

16. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol sometime in the next 10 years Apple will come up with a design that'll really knock your socks off;)

18. Readinglevelup thread starter macrumors member

Readinglevelup

Alright, I'll upgrade the hard drive, then. The Macbook Pro has a 2.5" hard drive, right? Any suggestions on which one I should get? Just asking, though, I'm not quite sure which HD I should trust. haha

19. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

correct 2.5 with thickness of 9.5mm. i've been real happy with my scorpio blue 500. I believe the largest you can put in is a 640gb. the 750 is 12.5.