13 or 15inch MBP ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulie6978, Aug 7, 2012.

1. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

Still torn over this MBP thing lol

i went to a local store and demoed both. The 13 inch doesnt seem that much different. I would get it with 8GB ram and the i7.....

What other hardware specs am I leaving out thats important?

is the 8GB ram overkill ( ill be using it for web surfing, itunes, some movies, maybe small gaming like FSX)

Looks like i can get a new 13 inch for the same price as a 2011 15 inch MBP on eBay

i kicked around the idea of the MBA 13 inch as well......

Any insight / personal experience would help!

thanks

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

"Doesn't seem that much different" in what ways? What criteria are you using? We can't read your mind and you can't just assume that we know what your needs/wants/preferences are.

Storage capacity and whatever else is important to you.

If you don't know if 8GB is overkill then why have you decided that you're getting it? You'd have to look at your usage to determine if it's overkill or not (same as any question on RAM usage).

3. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

since your leaning towards the MBP 13, Honestly get the Air, since the Air has all the capabilities of a MBP 13. The MBP is turning to be a big chunk of aluminum that will soon be removed the MBP collection.
    Also their has been hundreds of threads about this, try searching first :p

4. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

thanks for you input Mr. Pompous

----------

i search all day everyday lol

nothing wrong with some fgresh new insight

5. Liquinn Suspended

I read lots of discussions and stuff about me buying a Powermac G5; anyways. I'd get the 113" if you do not need the power of the 15". :p

6. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

instead of someone wasting time bashing someone whats wrong with answering the question?

isnt that what these forums are all about?

sheesh:confused::eek:

i enjoy different insight about this stuff. im new to buying a macbook..... :cool:

7. Beezzy macrumors 6502

MBP 13" is a good for school work (iWork, MS Office, Web Browsing). The 15" is the real powerhouse, and is more capable to handle video/photo editing and handles alot more games above low settings because of its dedicated GFx card and quad core processor, upgrade the RAM from Amazon.com to 8 or 16GB and you're good to go my friend.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The 2011 15" is a great machine, but it all depends on what you want/need. If you need portability, you might want to go with the 13", although I've never had a problem toting my 15" MBP around. Do you want/need a discrete graphics card, or is the card in the 13" enough for the game/games you want? Is the dual-core machine enough for you (judging by the programs you listed I thik it should be) or do you want a quad-core machine? Would having USB 3.0 benefit you at all? If you plan on getting the model with the i7, it comes with 8GB of RAM, so I'm not sure why you're asking if that's too much...it's standard with that model so it won't cost you any extra.

9. iaymnu macrumors 6502

If you don't think you need all 8gig ram then you can use some making ram disks for temp files. I'm doing that with my 16gig ram dedicating about 2-3gigs to 3 ram disks.

10. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

So the Air can be user expanded to 16gb, has an ODD drive or a bay for a second drive that allow for internal storage of 2TB? Has GB ethernet and Firewire and multiple USB 3 ports without adapters? And is now available with a 2.9ghz processor? Cool :rolleyes:

I'm not saying the MBA doesn't have its benefits, but to say it has the "same capabilities of a MBP 13" is wildly inaccurate.

But to the OP question. The 15" MBP has much better graphics than either the 13" MBP or MBA and to some the larger screen is a big benefit (not to me as I prefer the smaller packages). Also for many applications the quad core in the 15" MBP is well worth the cost.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd think it's more pompous for people to post threads expecting us to know what you want and how you use your computer. For your need a $600 Dell would do the trick, and am also confused about there being "no difference" between a 13" and 15".

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The 13" MBP has Intel integrated graphics. The 15" MBP has Intel graphics plus the higher powered NVidia GT650M graphics.

If GPU performance is important for you then that's something to consider.

13. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

i think i listed what i wanted clearly. I just have a problem when people would rather put someone down then answer the question.

by "no difference" i mean in my opinion the 15 inch didnt really impress me screen wise.

14. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

The 15in with a hi res anti glare screen is better than the 13in MBP. For your uses, Id just get a 13in MBA. Better resolution than the 13in MBP and its light.

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Having that explanation in the first post would have been helpful. You asked about differences in hardware specs, and several people have responded with information. Which one is right for you is a choice that you have to make. Either one will more than meet your needs, as would the MBA as long as you don't mind that you can't upgrade the RAM at any point in the future.

16. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

thats why im having a difficult time choosing. every model has their pros and cons. i ask here to get personal viewpoints..... as many as i can.. spending between 1100-1700 for a laptop is a big expense!

17. WindWaker macrumors regular

Based on what you said in your original post, go for the 13" Air.

18. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Of course every model has its pros and cons. Everything in life does. Go the old fashioned route...make a list of pros and cons for each, then compare. That will likely do you more good than listening to the opinions of strangers. It's great to get input from others, but in a situation like this, no one can choose for you. You know the differences between the models. Pick the one you think will be best for you. If you purchase directly from Apple, there's a 14-day return window, so if you try it and don't like it, send it back.

I'm not trying to be rude or pushy, just honest. Other people's opinions can only get you so far on something like this.

19. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

Youtr bringing me back to my college days!!!

I highly value eveyrones opinion on here!

some people just come off the wrong way!!!:D

20. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

I think the "13 will be just fine for

• web surfing, itunes, some movies, maybe small gaming like FSX

My 2,8 gHZ i7 with 4GB RAM handles just that + some light Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign) usage. And I love this small tough guy:) - though I'll be getting 15 MBP in the future to replace my desktop, keeping the "13 of course:)

So it's all up to you obviously, you have to decide: will you take advantage of the "15's power, do you need the bigger display and are willing to carry the extra weight?

Anyways: enjoy your new MBP:)

21. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

well i did it. i went with the 13 inch ( late 2011) model..pro core i7, 750 GB, 8 gb ram, 2.8 GHZ

paid 1100 next day shipped......

the seller has free 60 days return shipping if im not satisified...

what do you guys think?