13" Owners don't kid Yourselves: No MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbytomorow, May 16, 2010.

1. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

Just thinking and I don't mean to be harsh, but I am on my 3rd or 4th macbook, and I had a couple ibooks. BUT I did buy a 13" unibody (before they were wrongfully called "pros") and wanted to upgrade due to the small resolution, integrated graphics, lousy panel etc...so I did, I bought a Pro instead...now these entry level macbooks with crummy displays are considered pro's too? with integrated graphics? WTF!

whay hasnt there been an uproar? i remember the 12" pro's from back in the day but they had "pro" specs. these 13' "pros" are just entry level machines in a pro case

2. cyclical macrumors regular

So why did you buy it? Surely you must have known the specs beforehand?

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

When I purchased mine last September, it had every bit of the specs of the comparable t400 thinkpad with discrete graphics besides the matte display. And besides the Sony z series how many loaded 12-14" notebooks do you see?Nevertheless, I am surprised they did not offer the i5 with integrated graphics over the 320m core2duo package and that apple still never thought that a matte screen was a worth while option.
    Where as I think the displays on the MacBook pros are excellent including the 13". And for the size factor, they really do in my opinion feel like a pro machine especially with their incredibly rigid case.

4. RealaT macrumors regular

Because we have better things to do than complain about the name of a laptop

5. JackHobbs macrumors regular

JackHobbs

In the end, isn't the name just a label? It's just a guide to what to expect. I would hope that anyone shelling out a lot of money would read forums, take advice etc. I read Macrumors for ages before committing to a mac. I thought about what I needed and then went with the Macbook Pro 13" because it suited my needs. That was in December and I am still a happy bunny. It runs CS4 well, it edits video and it's a great machine. I don't run Ram hungry games so the 13" is fine.

6. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

pro is just a moniker and can be interpreted by the user. There's no need for an uproar.

The 13" macbook pro is no more a repackaged macbook than the 12" powerbook was a repackaged iBook.

The distinguishing features between the 13" and 15" are a slower processor and less powerful graphics.

If memory serves correctly, the distinguishing features between 12" powerbook and 15" were slower processor, less powerful graphics, intentionally crippled memory expansion, inability to drive the same number of pixels on an external display, no backlit keyboard.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

+1. still a great product imo.

8. Coswyn macrumors member

Coswyn

The 13" MBP still has some advantages over the current MB - aluminum body; 4GB standard, 8GB optional; factory SSD option; faster processor (2.26GHz vs 2.66GHz); more powerful graphics card (9600M GT vs 320M); and a backlit keyboard.

However, from what we can gather by the recent MB refresh leak, the new MB will be a hair's-breadth away from the new 13" MBP. It will match the processor of the low-end 13" MBP as well as the LED backlit display. There will then be only three options separating the two: case material, drive options, and RAM options.

Apple will need to act if they want to define the 13" MBP as a "Pro". Two options would distinguish it: an i3/i5 CPU and a high-resolution (1440x900) antiglare screen option.

9. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

heh my thoughts exactly. What a joker.

10. ramzhh macrumors regular

That's what they're supposed to be. The entry level Pro's. High end MacBooks with alluminium unibody, better hard drive, better graphics, SSD option, better processor, 4GB(up to 8GB) of memory. If you don't like it, why the hell did you even buy it?

11. FangBianMian macrumors member

FangBianMian

[​IMG]

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

'Entry' level is a bit harsh. I've seen Dell Inspirons that I think are 'Entry' level and in my opinion the 13" MBP is way way better than that. To put the 13" MBP at the same level is a bit insulting don't you think?

13. hypermog macrumors regular

hay guise why do thay call it supreme gas at the gas station its not supreme its just a little bettar

14. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

What's your point exactly?

I love my 13" MBP, best machine I own of the bunch ...

15. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

+1

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The 13" MBP is an excellent model.

The only option I'd like to see is an Anti Glare display.

17. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Even the 17" is barely pro by most standards so the idea of the 13 and 15" being "pro" is to me, laughable. It's just a name though...