13" Pro can't install Snow Leopard???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gromet, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Gromet macrumors regular

Gromet

Hey there all,

Having the strangest issue with my 13" Pro. I upgraded the hard Drive to a WD Scorpio Blue 640Gig.

Froma a clean drive I booted up with retail Snow Leopard Disk. Install starts and about 10 minutes in, it fails.

I have been going crazy. I have tried 2 different retail Snow Leopard Disks, An ISO Image, My wife's 13" Pro reinstall Disks (Her's came with Snow Leopard). Creating a Flash Drive version of both the Restore Disks image, and a retail image. NOTHING WORKS! they all fail.

I tried my restore disks, and it went fine. So Right now I'm running 10.5.8 but can not upgrade to Snow Leopard. It Fails every time???

Anyone have any thoughts????

Thanks in advance.

Gromet

2. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

tried it with the smaller/original hard drive yet?

Could be SL expects to see a maximum configuration associated with your system, and when it sees something alternate, it crashes?

3. Gromet thread starter macrumors regular

Gromet

I Just put a BRAND NEW, Out of the box hard drive in. WD Scorpio blue 500Gig. SAME THING... Snow Leopard will not install on this machine???

WTF!!!!

cderalow: So your telling me you cannot upgrade the hard drive in your macbook anymore? that can't be right....?

Gromet

4. enderello macrumors newbie

If possible, try doing it again and posting the log here. Not just the error messages but the complete log. I kept interrupting the SL install on my MBA after I thought the computer was freezing at 30% install only to find out later (after paying close attention to the log) that it was chugging away writing files.

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Did you format the drive first, and make sure you click options > GUID Partition table? I am using a 640GB scorpio blue in my 2006 macbook and had no problems doing a clean install of SL...

6. enderello macrumors newbie

You may wanna try booting it from your wife's 13" pro's HDD and see how it runs.
    Since you have the same computer why not do the complete install on her machine and then transfer the hard drive to your computer.

This may help you find out what the heck is wrong with your 13" pro. Maybe the cable to the hard drive is faulty. Maybe you have faulty RAM. Maybe your super drive has an issue.

Just trying to help you rule out components.

7. Paulg2uk macrumors regular

I had a similar problem last week on my 15" macbook pro. It turned out the 500gb seagate drive I put in 6 months ago had become corrupted. I tried installing snow leopard from a fresh install but it came up failed after 10 mins. I just put my stock 320gb drive back and did a clean install worked fine. As for the drive its completely useless now, I'm gonna wait till the new 1TB western digital drives come out and use one of those.

I was gonna say did you format the new drive? It might be faulty? If u can try it on another system that will help then you know its not the macbook pro. I'd take it back and get another one.

Hope that helps

8. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

That's what I was thinking also. Gromet didn't mention anything about formatting the drive. Most drives are not Mac ready right out of the box since we still live in a PC world.