13" Pro Late 2011: Better GPU or not ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yly3, Jul 21, 2011.

  1. yly3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #1
    I am having a big dilema (read headache) right now about what to pick or to wait. The current 13" Pro would be the perfect machine for me if it had the 2010 GPU .. Do you think Apple would have an October-November refresh ?
    I read some good points that they wouldn't have any reason to refresh but I do want to game a bit and the 15" is a No because of price and non-portability.

    I would have bought the 2010 model but C2D is getting really old now and I would be forced to upgrade again in early 2012. I want a machine who can last me gaming-wise (casual gaming low-medium settings but be able to play the most recent) 18-24 months .. I could wait another 3 months for a potential refresh but it would be a huge bummer to not have at least a slighter better graphical performance .. Besides, would the heat issues be fixed ?
     
  2. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #2
    There will not be a new GPU until either a redesign or ivy bridge. I'm going to guess that there won't be another release this year.
     
  3. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #3
    Damn, now what. To be honest I am a bit forced to go back to a Dell, but I love the mac and I just can't go back. I am also a bit skeptical about another update this year.
     
  4. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

    Titanium81

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2011
    #4
    Hoping & Praying for a Late 2011 MBP refresh. I'm looking to get a refreshed 15" MBP
     
  5. Arondel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    #5
    The next MBP 13" GPU will probably be the one from Ivy Bridge (if all things continue as they are). That will have a better performance but will be out in 2012. This year, I'm not betting on a considerable overhaul (hope I'm wrong though).
     
  6. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #6
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    What are people saying about ivy bridge ? If it comes in february 2012 and it's a powerful upgrade including video I will wait and buy a maxed out 13" maybe with 256 ssd. I'll start gathering money from now lulz. So is I.B really that big ?
     
  7. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

    dagamer34

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #7
    Intel has already said that Ivy Bridge won't be released until March 2012 at the earliest. And I don't see that there's a large difference between the Intel HD 3000 GPU and the Nvidia Geforce 320M, certainly not enough to worry about.

    I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
     
  8. Prodo123, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

    Prodo123 macrumors 68020

    Prodo123

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    #8
    The MBP cycle is 10-12 months long. Sorry, but you probably won't be able to see a new MacBook Pro lineup until 2012.
    Meanwhile, the 15" is amazing. Not too big or heavy, perfect balance between size and performance.

    Ivy Bridge will be an EXPERIMENTAL chip. It contains never-before-seen lithography like the tri-gate transistor. Even if a MacBook Pro is released with Ivy Bridge, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND holding back for a month for reviews to start flowing in. Look for any change other than the CPU performance, like the graphics, memory handling, and heat. Not only that, Intel has not released which class of CPUs will include this technology, which should provide a 40% boost in performance if executed flawlessly by Intel.

    Also, it's not guaranteed that the graphics performance will be a major upgrade in Ivy Bridge, nor if Apple can squeeze a GPU into a 13". Again, the key thing is to wait for the thorough reviews from users and blogs like Ars or Cnet.

    Finally, the 320M is a better IGP than the HD 3000 as shown in games. Outside of games, though, you will not see much of a difference.
     
  9. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #9
    Boy am I unlucky or what :(. Thanks a lot for the very detailed and straight to the point "review". I might get the curent 13 after all. Do you think a newer stock might have fixed the heating issues ? I think I might be opting for the i7 version.
     
  10. vipoolis macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    #10
    I am new here and to Macbook Pro's, I want to buy a 13" one. But I need a better GPU. I was just wondering if there is an option to add a Graphics card separately after you buy it?

    Thanks.
     
  11. mtip macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2010
    #11
    Which heating issues?

    Yes, MBP's run hotter than your average brick of a laptop with a blowdryer inside, but that's by design: slim design with minimal room inside + aluminum case with good heat conduction = more perceived heat on the outside of the case. There are no "heating issues", just misconceptions.

    No.
     
  12. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #12
    Is it almost "certain" that by February 2012 we will see an update right ? And it should be at least 1.5x faster than the current one ? Isn't there any other CPU or revision #3 of the Sandy Bridge ? Sorry I really am an outsider when it comes to GPU/CPU world nowadays .. I mean I can't believe that after 12 months we will basically have the same configuration..even when it comes to 13". I've considered buying the 2010 15" but size is just too big.

    I think I am willing to wait if by February new ones do come out.
     
  13. mtip macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2010
    #13
    There might be an update in time for this Christmas, with a 8-core CPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, dual GPUs and fullHD resolution on the 13" model as standard. Or there might not be any updates at all for the next 3 years.

    Experience shows that despite all the rumors, speculation and wishful thinking, in the end there are only two things certain: a) only Apple knows when and what they update, and b) everyone else will learn all about the update when it's released.

    If you need a laptop now, you're better off buying one now (you can always sell it for a small loss when the updated models are released). But if you can wait, then wait.
     
  14. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #14
    Believe it or not I've been using the 11" Air for the past 5 months as main and only computer. I take all my notes on it and battery life is more than ok. I can even play decent enough some CS : Source and Team Fortress 2. I am a very casual gamer (to not say rare) but I would want a better battery life and play some newer (high-demanding) games every now and then. Besides I'd like to DJ at some parties (again very rare, it's not my main source of venue it's just a hobby). To put it short, an all-in-one machine which would easily last me for 2-3 years.

    I think I came to the point where I just want to have that piece of mind and get myself a kick-ass machine. Do I need it now ? Not really. Could I get the current 13" ? I could, but I surely wouldn't have that piece of mind. I know you can't possibly have the latest and greatest for a long time but the current configuration doesn't worth getting it as it does not classify as an all in one machine, at least for my needs. Besides, maybe by early 2012 the SSD price might drop from 500 to a 350-400 for the 256GB.

    Apple will be busy in October with iCloud/iOS 5 and all that, I doubt Pros will be their main concern.
     

Share This Page