Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Obviously in the context of the current rumors of size increasing etc.

14 Pro didn’t pique my interest at all.

15 Pro did, slightly, due to weight reduction, but after using it for 2 weeks I returned it as I didn’t see a significant step forward.

I’m hoping the 16 Pro will bring some refinement which will make it a must buy for me (eg, longer battery life driven by new SOC and iOS 18 optimizations specific to the SOC).

However I’m impressed with how well the 13 Pro is holding up, in all ways (physically given I treat it rough, battery life has stabilized after 17.4.1, it’s super fast for my use case), that it really makes me question whether retiring it would make any sense.

Curious to know how other 13 Pro users feel?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I’m back and forth whether or not I want to upgrade my 14 Pro to the 16 Pro or not. It largely comes down to what features are available.

I’m sure some iOS 18 features will be cut from my 14 Pro, probably AI related. I’ve gone 16 years having an iPhone without that, what’s another year or so? Aside from battery life, my 14 Pro still runs like it’s brand new.

I can’t imagine there will be any hardware updates that will make me want to update.

As you’re coming from a 13 Pro, you’ll be getting extra features like the Dynamic Island, SOS Satellite features, crash detection, AOD, USB-C and the action button. Might be more worth it for you.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I have serious doubts how much additional battery life 16 Pro series might have compared to running previous iPhones on their original iOS

Larger display with no major battery capacity increase can only do so much

However considering everyone will upgrade to iOS 18 anyway, it’s easier to show a difference in battery life between the 16 series and older iPhones 😂

TheLocNar

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
Well. I can guarantee you that the 16 will be “our fastest, most advanced iPhone ever!”. Aside from that, I doubt anything really new and exciting. I’m still using my 12 Pro Max. Recently had a new battery put in too.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I am considering it, but I am going to need to see a significant jump in the camera system/picture quality to actually pull the trigger. My 13 Pro is holding up great. Battery life is still fine. It takes good pictures. I don't notice any slowness.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I am on a 12 pro max here, I was going to update to the 16 pro max. But I am going to hang on for the 17 pro max, as the front camera and back cameras will be updated, and if pu is right 12GB of ram and a reduced Dynamic Island has won me over.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I am due to upgrade this year and am considering the switch from my 13 Pro Max. I will see what the prices are and whether it is worth it with what is announced. My 13 Pro Max is still as fast as the day it was released and handles everything perfectly. I don't need to upgrade and it is purely a want at this point.

Reactions: Marty80

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
13PM here. Am considering it. But I also like my mute switch and my actual physical SIM card too. So unless I get a really good reason to upgrade, I'll probably hang onto my 13PM for at least one more year.

Reactions: madmin

cjsuk

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2024
I recently bought a 15 Pro and gave the 13 Pro to my daughter. It needed a quiet retirement after the two years of hell I put it through (everything from peaks of mountains to being drowned several times). Still looks and works as good as new though.

My main rationale for replacing it was that the AppleCare had run out and I spend time on call so priority replacement is important, the battery was down at 85% and noticeably degraded (this will be replaced shortly anyway), the camera is way way better and everything else I have is USB-C and I left my lightning cable at home once and shot myself.

I was surprised at a couple of things though which were a win. The screen is much brighter - didn't notice this really until it was sunny recently. Also the dynamic island is pretty handy and after it stopped annoying me, the always on display is actually really useful as you can just glance at stuff.

Overall very happy.

The improvements are incremental but appreciated. Nothing ground breaking though but I think that is the way it's going to be from now. The concept of a phone is pretty much done now.

So as for the 16 pro, if you need it. Maybe keep it 2-3 years a cycle and go in for the shiny factor :)

stiliyan

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
I am not considering upgrade to 16 pro because of the bigger size, that is rumoured. Actually, that is one of the reasons, why I decided to buy 15 pro one month ago, when there was a nice offer for 256GB version of it.
I was on the limit with 128GB on my old iPhone 13 Pro. The 8GBs RAM in 15 pro (more future proof for AI), the lighter and more comfortable to hold body, and the last pro model with 6.1" display, made me upgrade.

When I got it in my hands I was already regretting spending 1000 euros as all of the improvements are negligible and I could have stayed with my old phone and spend about 500-600 euros on something else.
Good that, relative of mine was looking to update her 12 pro, so she took it.

Having deleted everything on the old phone, I decided to change the color and get 512GB version of 13 pro with better battery health and will try to keep it as long as possible (2-3 years more). Although this will be difficult as I change my phone every 1-2 years, but will try my best this time.

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I've really noticed the battery degradation over the past couple of months, so I've been thinking about replacing the battery on mine. An exciting new feature could tempt me to spring for a new phone instead - but as I'm saying this, I honestly don't know what they could offer that would make an upgrade feel worthwhile. My current phone can do everything I need it to do.

I've considered trying a Galaxy S2X Ultra next to see what other companies offer at that price point, but right now I think the most likely option is that I'll just stick with my 13 Pro and swap the battery.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
It depends on how well my battery holds up. I have things that don't backup so can't just restore things from my iCloud or similar so can't sent it away for a battery swap without hassle.
If the battery last, like it does seem to do, i might keep it and go for a 17. If it isn't I will prob get a regular 16 as a replacement.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Probably not. I like the x3 optical zoom, sim card, mute switch and fact my battery is still at 96%. The only think I don't like is the weight. The slim IP17+ sounds more promising to me.

toughkitty5

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
I’m not thinking to get new iPhone but It all depends. I want to know the exact specs of iPhone 16 series especially cameras specs. Also trade in values. What kind of sales cellphone carriers will have kinda. I’m happy with my iPhone 13 Pro at this moment.

Bungleaio

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
UK
My battery is getting quitepoor now so yes I'll be upgrading this year from 13p to 16p.

I've also bought a new MBP and iPad pro this year so it'll be nice to have a matching generation.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Obviously in the context of the current rumors of size increasing etc.

14 Pro didn’t pique my interest at all.

15 Pro did, slightly, due to weight reduction, but after using it for 2 weeks I returned it as I didn’t see a significant step forward.

I’m hoping the 16 Pro will bring some refinement which will make it a must buy for me (eg, longer battery life driven by new SOC and iOS 18 optimizations specific to the SOC).

However I’m impressed with how well the 13 Pro is holding up, in all ways (physically given I treat it rough, battery life has stabilized after 17.4.1, it’s super fast for my use case), that it really makes me question whether retiring it would make any sense.

Curious to know how other 13 Pro users feel?
Yes 100 as posted 16 Pro Max is going 6.8” Tandem OLED so it’s gonna be a huge update over my 13 Pro Max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.