13" Pro with HDD from 2.0C2D BlackBook Verbose Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fletch33, Jul 29, 2009.

1. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

i just helped a friend that sold his black 2.0 C2D swap his HDD out of it and place it in a Unibody 2.4 C2D and then the Unibodies into the BlackBook.

BlackBook starts up fine with the HDD from the Unibody and runs great.

However the Unibody is starting up in Verbose mode and looks like it has to find some kexts/drivers for a couple things as words fly across the screen and then it fires up. it also goes to the black screen with text flying when i shut it down.

both macbooks were running the latest 10.5.7.

i did a permissions repair on the Unibody and restart but it still fires up with the Verbose screen.

any suggestions?

thanks

2. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

4. fletch33 thread starter macrumors regular

fletch33

re-installing is what i was trying to avoid as it would be me that had to do it for him :(

i was hoping that there may be a solution to avoid that.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You CANNOT take a hard drive from one Mac and place it in a Mac of a different model as it will NOT work. Period.

There is a way to do use the old hard drive, but it isn't straightforward.

You need to start with a migration. Put the hard drives back into their original Macs and connect the two computers with Firewire or Ethernet. If you don't want to use the old hard drive, you can stop here and your friend will have his data on his new computer.
    Next, put the old BlackBook in target disk mode (hold T while booting) and connect the two computers by Firewire. Use SuperDuper to make a copy of the new laptop's internal drive onto the BlackBook's drive. This will erase all data on the BlackBook's drive and will not allow you to boot off it (without kernel panics or other problems) in the BlackBook.
    Now, take the BlackBook's drive with the clone of the Unibody's drive out of the BlackBook and put it in the Unibody.

Enjoy!

6. fletch33 thread starter macrumors regular

fletch33

i am typing on the Unibody 13" Macbook with the HDD from the BlackBook right now so it is working but is missing a few components when it fires up that it has to go find each and every time i fire it up but it then runs perfectly and all features work that i have tested.

i recently swapped the HDD's from my old 13" Unibody Macbook to my new 13" Macbook Pro and it worked with no problems. i realize these are more closely related but still different machines.

the 13" Unibody was the model without firewire. the main reason for wanting to swap HDD's besides the data was that the BlackBook had a 320GB 7200RPM in it that he wanted to keep with the new Unibody.

i greatly appreciate your help and completely understand the situation but my thoughts were that there would be some way to get the Unibody what it needs to start up without the initial kernel panic without re-installing. it is running fine right now after it hunts down what it needs at start up.

thanks for any further help if there is any besides re-installing :)

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Then just put the drives back and migrate with an Ethernet cable with Migration Assistant.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

What's the software version on the UMB drive (the one that's originally from the BlackBook)?

If it's older than the release date of the uMB, then it doesn't even know the uMB exists. An update to 10.5.7 may take care of the problem for you.

</just a theory>
    </no proof whatsoever>

9. fletch33 thread starter macrumors regular

fletch33

update :)

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

thanks for everyones feedback.

the problem was the startup disk. i knew it would work as i have swapped many HDD's and never had this problem. all i had to do was go to system preferences > startup disk > select the HDD and restart.

just tested it with several restarts and shut downs and all is good :)

10. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

11. fletch33 thread starter macrumors regular

fletch33

this was soooo tempting ;)