13" refurb Macbook Pro with bonus water damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Works4Me, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Works4Me macrumors regular

Sigh. So, in July of this year I bought a refurb 2015 13" Macbook Pro directly from Apple. That was, apparently a mistake. I have babied it. It has been nowhere near any liquid since I've owned it. I can absolutely 100% guarantee that neither I nor anyone in or house (no one else gets to use it) has spilled anything near it. No one has borrowed it. It just hasn't happened. And I don't live in a particularly humid place...

But, a week and half ago the SSD died. After keeping it for five days, the local Apple store finally opened it open and said they found corrosion near the connection point of the SSD and they refused to fix it under warranty. No matter what I said, the techs wouldn't change their mind or do anything for me. It was my fault, plain and simple.

But it isn't my fault. I'm guessing that what happened is that some one out there bought it, spilled water on it, and returned it. The refurb folks fired it up, it worked, and that's it. They shipped it! Oh, and by the way, the moisture sensors don't show anything. Or maybe it's a design flaw...

I have the computer at another place that is trying to do something for me, but at this point, I'm really not happy with Apple's guilty until proven innocent policy here, especially since the moisture sensors haven't even been affected. You'd think they could do something for me, but unless my current tech person can work something out, I'm guilty until proven innocent (which isn't going to happen). So what do I have to do when I buy a refurb computer? Crack it open the moment I get it? I guess so... Oh and by the way, the latest repair place said that there was a case screw that had been broken off - I didn't do it that either, since I've never opened the machine.

If anyone has any advice about how to handle this, please feel free to post. I can imagine that to Apple I might look guilty except that the moisture sensors don't show anything.

Anyhow, just felt like venting. I know one thing - I will never, never take a machine for repair to an Apple Store. Those guys seems to have no authority or ability to think independently (well, at least at that store).

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

email tcook@apple.com and request/demand that Executive Customer Relations contact you. Just basically copy and paste this thread into email. In a nice way - don't be afraid to let them know you posted your experience online. :)

3. Works4Me thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Thanks for the tip! If it doesn't get resolved, I will certainly do this. And yes, I will keep it civil. :)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Demanding anything from upper executives is a guarantee the email will end up in the trash. If the OP feels compelled to escalate the issue, and I'm not saying he shouldn't, then presenting his case calmly and politely will be better then any sort of demands be issued.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I expect more of Mods then this...highlight one word to take the whole of the post of out context.

+ your just wrong - both times Ive need major attention I have requested/demanded to be contacted within 24 hours I had a call placed to me.

GG

6. Works4Me thread starter macrumors regular

I forget to mention Spink10, that, back in the day, I got action from a polite email I addressed to sjobs. So yes, it can work. :)

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If you contact higher ups, you should note that corrosion found doesn't fit the timeline with only have it for five days.

8. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I can confirm polite emails etc. are the way to go. However, when you have documentation and are placated and still made to look wrong, well, sometimes getting firm and a little uber angsty can do it. A very firm, detailed, slightly cranky email to John Legere (T-Mobile) earlier this year fixed my issues. I ultimately dealt with his assistant and all fees were waived because I was in the right.

My politeness has served me well at the 5th Avenue Apple Store these past three months too. I emailed Tim Cook to let him know of the great service I have received at the 5th Avenue NYC Apple store because I think CEOs should know when things work too. Never got a response, but am glad did that.

OP, I 100% agree with everyone else whose posted. Punt that post to Mr. Cook and if you have any physical proof, send that along. Good luck.