13" Retina Macbook Pro Experience

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by myalls, Mar 6, 2014.

1. myalls, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

myalls macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, just wanted to get some advice and see what other peoples experience's are with the late 2013 retina macbook pro's.

I purchased a new macbook pro online around a few weeks ago. The unit was delivered and everything was fine. A week and a half later I noticed that the computer base was producing a high pitched whining noise, I took it back to my closest store - they replaced it with no problem. The second unit didn't have this same problem, but after a week I noticed that the screen would flicker in a line intermittently. I took it back to the store and the geniuses said that they are unsure why this is happening, but they wanted to replace it incase. Great, so three computers later and I'm starting to get a bit paranoid with my new computer having problems. The new unit has neither of the above problems, and the screen actually appears to be more white and has a less "yellow" tint. However, being paranoid I decided to run the image retention test to check the screen. After 3 minutes there is very minor image retention of the checkerboard pattern, and again testing after 10 minutes you can slightly make out a checker board on the grey background.

At the moment I really don't want to go back to the Apple store for a third time, and at the moment the IR is not bothering me with general use. I am, however, worried that this is going to get worse with time (which is what I've read online). Can anyway give me any insight into what I should do? Will IR get worse with usage?

EDIT: I also noticed that out of the brand new box the battery had 12 charge cycles..

Thanks!

2. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Mine's been perfect really, and I say that despite having very very minor image retention.

I didn't even notice I had it until after about a month and running that test, so I decided I really didn't care since it took a month and a test for me to notice it. I still forget that it happens and have never noticed it in actual use.

3. rex450se macrumors regular

I have a 15" late 2013 rMBP and haven't had any issues. I love mine. I am very particular about my stuff but after going over it with a fine toothed comb the first week or so I gave up trying to find a flaw. It's perfect. No IR, no screen flicker, no yellowing or any other problem some of these have.

4. IndoX macrumors regular

I don't why people test for IR - it's simply not feasible. Forcing your computer through unrealistic environments to make sure it's perfect is no testing at all.

Test it in your user environment. If you notice IR while using it - go to the genius bar. If you're not noticing IR while using it - keep it.

5. myalls thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair comment, however with the luck I've had over the past few weeks I'm trying to test all possible faults with an expensive machine.

6. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

This is the stance I've taken as well, and I don't regret it.

7. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

While the ir i would not bother about till you see it in your daily work which means it is bad. But your 12 battery cycles seems weird usually at the most on a new one there must be on or two at the most three cycles. You should have checked it in store and brought it to their notice well anyways for now i advice you to just use the laptop the way you would and forget about the past two replacements or else you will constantly try finding issues. Also the ir test apple carries out is somewhat different and from what I have noticed that if you only find the retention in tests you carried out it wont show up mostly on apples test but if you notice it on your normal use it will show up and qualifies for a repair.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll if under normal usage patterns you notice problems or issues that detract from your user experience take it back. If you only notice problems by running highly specialized tests that really have no basis in real world experiences then I'd ignore them.

I don't run IR tests, nor do I look for dead pixels, I use the computer as it should and if something is noticeable that way, I contact apple.

I also don't check the cycles of the battery for the same reason.

OP, if you're unhappy with the computer return it, but I think pixel peeping will mean that you'll probably never be happy as no product is absolutely perfect. I understand its a very expensive computer and you expect a certain level of quality, I'm not saying you shouldn't but testing it in ways that fall outside the normal usage patterns will almost always uncover issues.

9. myalls thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update. I've been using the computer without worrying about it but noticed that the IR is becoming worse and I even noticed it with normal use. After around 1 minute on screen, images are now visible on light backgrounds afterwards...I'm still within the 14 days so I guess I'll be going back for my 3rd replacement..

10. Baylor2014 macrumors newbie

I just got my rMBP 13" (2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 256 SSD) and I love it! Flawless machine and lightning fast! and it looks pretty sexy:cool:

11. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Couldn't have said it any better. Although all the IR testers and RAM questioners provide some of the greatest discussions on here.