13" Retina MacBook Pro - UI Lag/Smoothness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brandrune, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Brandrune macrumors member

Hey all!

For the past few months, I've been running Yosemite on my 13" Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro. I reinstalled it today after getting fed up of constant system UI lag, and in third party applications. I'm talking about jerkiness when minimizing in both Scaled/Genie modes, choppiness when going into Launchpad, and scrolling lag.

I'm a software developer, and I guess that puts me in a spot where I'm highly critical if things don't work as expected. UI lag on a £1.2k machine, in just system applications and lightweight third party ones? To me, that seems a little off.

I've had the MacBook since February this year, and I'm unsure where to go with it. Unsure whether to sell it and get a 15" variant with a dedicated GPU. Does UI lag still occur on here?

Perhaps I'm being a little immature, or expecting a little too much. I just don't like these little things eating away at me whilst I'm working.

Any thoughts? All the best.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've got both late-2013 variants (13" 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD, 15" 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and 2GB 750M), and can confirm that even in Iris Pro only on the 15", there is no UI lag.

On the 13", there is no UI lag for me also, unless I use a scaled resolution of 1440x900 or 1680x1050, both HiDPI.

If you don't want lag, just use best for retina.

3. anarti macrumors regular

I use scaled on mine 13" 2014 and there is a lag from time to time. Best for retina resolution is pretty bad. UI elements are simply too big. Having more information displayed on the screen + lag is far better option than no lag + less information:)

Just my 2 cents:)

4. kittencounter, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

kittencounter macrumors member

It's software related issue. People always point to the integrated graphics while it isn't. The problem often occurs while running on scaled resolutions and some third party apps open. This is also why many don't see any lags on their machines. My 15" 2012 rMBP on Intel graphics runs absolutely smooth on external displays, best for retina or 2880x1800 (1:1) resolution.

5. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Same here on the 13, worse after Yosemite, beach balling.

Try smc reset for a bandaid, but wipe and reinstall Yosemite for the fix.
    I just restored from TM and I expect that his issue will be resolved, or else I will start from scratch and manually copy over all of my libraries and programs.

This has been an issue for me since 2008, upgrading really screws things up for me.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

I have a 26" 1080p screen hooked up and it's smooth as butter.
    The UI seems to be directly connected to the internal retina screen.