13" Retina MBP vs 13" MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webcity, Oct 29, 2013.

1. webcity macrumors member

On the hunt for a new laptop and already having a 15" MBP, I want something more portable. So which should I go for? A 13" rMBP or a 13" MBA?

Uses will be mainly Internet Browsing, some business related and will need to run Windows 7 in bootcamp.

2. koppie644 macrumors regular

13 rMBP would make your 15'' non-retina MBP look horrible ...
    so, get an Air :)

3. JFabbiani macrumors member

If you're looking for portability, then definitely go with the MBA, and since you want to run windows in BC, you should look for a MBA with at least 256Gb SSD, maybe 512Gb depending on how much space you will require... But if it's only win7 with Microsoft office suit, and you will only use it for business an web browsing, 256Gb should be good enough =)

4. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

There is a thread on this in (I think) the MBA section.

Ultimately, I went with the Air. I really liked the rMBP build quality (especially since it took me 3 Airs to not get some weird quality control problem) and the retina screen, along with the smaller bezel/foot print. Besides that, it still feels very underpowered to run the retina resolution. Still lots of UI lag.

I didn't get any image retention on mine out of box but it seems like it *could* happen since the only supplier for 13" rMBP is LG.

Not that the 13" Pro is much more powerful anyways, but your needs don't sound like much for a 'faster' computer than the Air.

5. qawsed macrumors regular

I must say I completely disagree. Received my 13"/8GB/256 today, and it is absolutely awesome. No lag, quick and looking at the air's screen next to it is very difficult!

6. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

I had the same model. The retina screen is definitely fantastic. The Air still performed better navigating around the computer (full screening apps, scrolling, all sorts of animations) beside it, so the premium didn't seem worth it to me.

Benchmarks also show the Air at 6021 and the Pro at 6288. Not much of a difference there.

7. qawsed macrumors regular

Ya the air is a beautiful machine no doubt. At this level it's all about personal preference.

8. webcity thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Still not really sure about this one, although I'm definitely swaying towards the air. Main reason is I currently have a Dell Latitude E4200 that is the computer I use for couch surfing. This is a lightweight 13" laptop so would like to replace it with someone better, especially after losing the number 6 off the keyboard lol

9. Jeanloup macrumors regular

The Air is not suffering from IR so I would go with the air.

10. webcity thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the posts about this. I'm still really torn.

If I buy from the university store, these are the options:

1) Macbook Air - 13 Inch, 1.3GHz Core i5, 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD - £1254.60
    2) Macbook Air - 13 Inch, 1.7GHz Core i7, 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD - £1357.20
    3) Macbook Pro - 13 Inch, 2.6GHz Core i5, 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD - £1288.80

11. RobboMB macrumors newbie

34 quid for a retina upgrade, extra ports and a processor with a bit more grunt? Rude not to really if you don't need the battery life.

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

If you're considering only the 13-inch models, then the rMBP is the clear choice. Definitely.

13. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Definitely go for the rMBP, the screen on the air is awful even compared to the non retina MBP. The text on the air is tiny compared to the MBP and the rMBP, not sure why but its something to do with apple not being bothered to scale it properly, someone more technical could probably explain better.

14. theyanman macrumors newbie

This video review might be of use to you:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFU3QACskxE

Being an owner of a 11" 2011 MBA ultimate, I have been deciding on when to make the next move. The rMBP is a game changer when it comes to screen sharpness, battery life, power and portability. Unless you really need to be away from a power outlet all day (12+ hours), then go rMBP. You really can't go wrong with either machine. Good luck.

15. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i've been running my 13" rmbp in 1440x900 scaled mode and noticed no significant ui lag. i go from my 15" rmbp to 13" and don't notice anything, but it might be there.

16. channelinspire macrumors member

channelinspire

I had planned since June to get a 13" Air. I had had two 11" (2010 and 2011) Airs and was only bothered by the poor battery life. When I heard 12 hours I was sold. I was waiting for the right time and Apple happened to release the later 2013 MBPr and lowered the price. By the time, I added more memory and went to 256GB SSD, the air was about the same price as the mid model (2.4, 8GB, 256GB) MBPr. SO for me it was about screen vs battery.

I tried to go see a retina at two best buys but couldn't find one. I remembered what a difference the retina made when I got my first retina iPad. Decided I'd order the MBPr. Picked it up today and it is the display is so good, I can't believe I considered the Air. I had them side by side in the Apple Store and it wasn't close in any way except the weight. And that was so close, I didn't notice it much. .5 lbs just isn't something I'll notice around my house.

I remember my 11" Air screens being good but the when I was looking at the 13" Air next to a MBPr, it looked terrible. Bad viewing angles and just no where as rich as the MBPr. I am extremely happy with my choice. No image retention issues and the performance seems great. I have been browsing, running Tweetbot, watching videos and even installed some apps for 3 hours and I still have 76% (7:30 hours) battery left.

It's still the first day so I am sure my perception will come down to earth in the coming days but I am sure that I would be more disappointed in the Air.

17. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

18. webcity thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your post. That's helped massively. I think I will go for the MBPr but I'm going to leave it a few weeks to see if all the issues die down.

Hi. I did have an iPad but it's not really suitable for what I need.

19. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

I have the rMBP 13" and image retention does exist for it. If you're planning to get it please get it with AppleCare. I'm asking for a replacement tomorrow. :eek: