13" Retina Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by R3fr3sh, Aug 3, 2013.

1. R3fr3sh, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

R3fr3sh macrumors member

I'm new to macbook and I need a replacement to my aging Dell inspiron 9400 (10 years old). The 13" retina pro looks very interesting because of its screen. I have a few questions I couldnt find.

1. How much does operating system use out of the 128GB?

2. If I fill up the SSD, will it operate like windows? What i mean is, does it start to get sluggish after owning if for a month or more?

3. I've read the 15" and the 13" Retina Pro's seem really sluggish on websites, is this a known safari or osx thing?

4. I understand reliability is very good, but how much of you purchase the applecare? What could possibly go wrong?

EDIT
    5. How do I tell what monitor the retina macbook has - this does not work when i tried it on a 13" macbook at the apple store (you go into the magnifier and type in terminal and type this in vioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 - right?)

2. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

1. OS for 10-15Gb
    2. -
    3. Browser, I prefer using mozilla
    4. I never using apple care, I have ever macbook 2010, until today all is work fine. Commonly problem in retina is screen, please check u're screen. Many people replace for free LG screen to samsung screen.

3. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Don't forget tho you won't actually get the full 128GB to use.

AppleCare depends where you live and what consumer laws you have for your country.

Sluggish is suppose to be fixed in Mavericks which is more of a software issue

4. ryallen macrumors newbie

Windows doesn't slow down when you fill up the ssd. Not in my Vaio z anyway. That thing's two years old and runs like new. And I'm sure osx doesn't either. The point of an ssd is not to slow down over time.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The general rule of thumb according to people who study and benchmark SSDs (like Anandtech) is to try to keep about 25% of your SSD empty if possible to allow for the best performance.

It will still work if you fill it up more than that but it might not run quite at peak performance without the extra free space to use.

6. Jodles macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken, some of the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance scripts run sub-par if you don't have enough free space on the drive for it do to its stuff. But it will never get as sluggish as both Windows and OS X gets on a traditional HDD when its full.

I've got a Windows laptop at work with an SSD that's practically full and it's still speedy.

7. scbond macrumors 6502

Actually, you're incorrect. If your storage is full to the brim then there is no room for additional cache memory. If you remove or limit the cache of an application it will slow it down.

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

You are aware that a refresh is in the works for the 13 and 15" Retina Pros? Probably out in a month or so, with better battery life and graphics power, best to wait if you can.
    1. You cannot easily/cheaply upgrade the SSD - so get the 256GB if you can afford it (the refurbished models are a good buy). Then it will be easier to keep some space free. For example, I have 30GB of music, 50GB of favorite movies and I use about 113GB of my 255GB (256GB SSD). With only 120 or so GB, you will not be able to store large music or movie libraries internally, and have to use an external disk, which may be OK with you, or not.
    If you are only storing a relatively small amount of data, 128GB will work fine.
    2. It will slow down a little if you cram the disk, not recommended. OS X uses caching tech to speed things up, and not having the required space will interfere with that. Time machine stores local backups too (that can use up lots of space, but you can disable that), when your Time Machine disk is not connected. Conclusion, don't fill your SSD up completely.
    3. The sluggish is due to the OS, Safari, and the high res of the Retina screens, OS X 10.9 and the refresh to the Haswell models will (probably-mostly) fix that, but the present machines should run better on the new system too.
    4. You get Apple's warranty for a year with a new or refurbished purchase, then you can buy Applecare before that 1 year runs out if you want too. I never have, and have had no trouble with 2 MBPs. But if I was buying a Retina I would buy Applecare near the end of the 1 year warranty. A lot of things can go wrong with those screens. Seen the huge number of related posts here?

9. R3fr3sh thread starter macrumors member

How to tell what screen i have?

I'm very well aware that there will be an updated version, but thanks to the promotions, its a good price i think. I won't be using my Retina macbook for anything intense. I would do 90% of web browsing and 10% editing photos and videos on my iPhone. The prices when they were released last year were crazy, about $1699, now they are $1330, plus -$100 student promo.

Can someone show me how to find out the type of screen manufacture i would have? I went to the apple store and typed this in on the 13" macbook retina and i didn't get anything on the terminal - ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There's no way to tell on the 13" (well, other than tearing apart the display assembly).