13" Retina Ram 'Configure'?

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Hi I understand that the ram on a 13" Retina Macbook Pro is non upgradable. But then what is the meaning of 'configurable to 16GB'?

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The RAM is not upgradeable. However, it can be configured to 16GB at the time of purchase.

From 13" MBP configuration page on the Apple website

Choose Memory
MacBook Pro with Retina display comes as standard with 8GB of 1866MHz memory. Please note that the memory is built into the computer, so if you think you may need more memory in the future, it is important to upgrade at the time of purchase.

The more memory your computer has, the more apps you can run simultaneously and the better performance you get from your computer. MacBook Pro with Retina display uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today — 1866MHz Low-Power Double Data Rate 3 (LPDDR3), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM) — ensuring that the Intel Core i5 and i7 processors are constantly fed with data without wasting clock cycles. Compressed Memory in OS X allows your Mac to free up memory space when you need it most. As your MacBook Pro approaches maximum memory capacity, OS X automatically compresses data from inactive apps, making more memory available.

How much memory is right for you?
  • With 8GB of memory as standard, you can multitask with ease and run memory-intensive applications without compromising performance. This allows you to work on complex tasks such as editing photos and video, creating illustrations and building complex presentations.
  • Max out the memory in your MacBook Pro with 16GB to allow your professional applications like Final Cut Pro to run at peak performance.
Note that MacBook Pro with Retina display comes with 8GB of memory built into the computer. If you think you may need more memory in the future, it is important to upgrade at the time of purchase, because memory cannot be upgraded later in this model.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Hi I understand that the ram on a 13" Retina Macbook Pro is non upgradable. But then what is the meaning of 'configurable to 16GB'?
When you get ready to buy the computer on apple.com, you can select 8GB or 16GB. If you select 8GB, you're stuck with that - no ability to add more ram.

Reactions: Meister

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
The RAM is not upgradeable. However, it can be configured to 16GB at the time of purchase.

From 13" MBP configuration page on the Apple website
How can i do it? I've already got it back home. Is it too late to configure it?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
How can i do it? I've already got it back home. Is it too late to configure it?
Yes, you're basically choosing which computer model to buy, the 8GB equipped model or the 16GB equipped model.

Btw, I don't know your usage needs, but most people today do not need 16GB. How will you be using this computer?

Reactions: Meister

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Yes, you're basically choosing which computer model to buy, the 8GB equipped model or the 16GB equipped model.

Btw, I don't know your usage needs, but most people today do not need 16GB. How will you be using this computer?
Primarily for normal usages. Facebook, some games and watching movies. How long would this 8g rams last me for?

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Primarily for normal usages. Facebook, some games and watching movies. How long would this 8g rams last me for?
You'll be fine with the standard configuration.

From the quote above:

How much memory is right for you?
  • With 8GB of memory as standard, you can multitask with ease and run memory-intensive applications without compromising performance. This allows you to work on complex tasks such as editing photos and video, creating illustrations and building complex presentations.
  • Max out the memory in your MacBook Pro with 16GB to allow your professional applications like Final Cut Pro to run at peak performance.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
With such minimal usage, an iPad packs enough computing power. You'll be fine for years. Heck my SO is still on 4GB and gets by just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.