Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
just bought a 13" retina macbook pro and copied data over from a time machine backup of a 13" 2010 macbook pro running 10.6.8.

That all went fine and then it tolled me to install the vital security update.
Clicked that and it installed 10.9.2 etc. Now however it is stuck on installing security update. The bar is at about 90% and it hasnt moved for over 8 hours.
My other macs took 5 mins or so to install the security update.

So my question is can i force shut the computer and see if i can install again or will it totally screw up osx if i do that.

cheers

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think 8 hours is long enough - go ahead and force it off, then restart. The update may or may not be installed. Probably a good time to run a repair permissions, then restart again. Check for updates.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I think 8 hours is long enough - go ahead and force it off, then restart. The update may or may not be installed. Probably a good time to run a repair permissions, then restart again. Check for updates.

cheers

i just restarted it and installed it again. Seems to be working well, thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
cheers

i just restarted it and installed it again. Seems to be working well, thanks

Just for drill to make sure you did not corrupt your disk or anything from that forced reboot, you should do a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Utility to run a repair disk to check for disk errors.

holliepollie

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
UK
Is it safe to just force it off?

I got a new MBPro yesterday and started the security update at about 9pm - it originally said it would take 5 minutes. Fast forward to this morning and it's still telling me it's installing one item!

Don't want to damage anything by forcing it to switch off whilst it's installing

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is it safe to just force it off?

I got a new MBPro yesterday and started the security update at about 9pm - it originally said it would take 5 minutes. Fast forward to this morning and it's still telling me it's installing one item!

Don't want to damage anything by forcing it to switch off whilst it's installing

You don't want to do it all the time in place of a normal shutdown, but it won't hurt to do it in your case when things are hung up.

It is a good idea to do a command-r boot to recovery after and use Disk Util to repair disk just to make sure you did not cause any disk corruption by the forced shutdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.