13" retina won't boot after opening up...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by will0407, Jul 8, 2014.

1. will0407, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

will0407 macrumors 6502a

I bought a late 2012 13" retina. I bought it in the knowledge the trackpad was 'stuck'/solid whatever you want to call it, with the idea of fixing it. So i got it, took it apart and got up to step 26 of this guide:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Late+2012+Trackpad+Replacement/15484

....Before realising all the needed doing was tightening the little screw in the middle of the trackpad by the opening lip. So literally none of the taking apart was necessary. Anyhow, I've put everything back in place, and it now won't boot.

Any ideas? I'm confident I didn't damage anything, and put everything back as it should. The charger light is orange when connected so I assume it means the battery is taking a charge?

No idea what it could be, I've been back and forth through the guide and checked everything is back where is needs to be.

Thanks in advance

2. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

You're sure you reconnected the keyboard? I'd double check and reseat that connection anyways just to be sure.

If you still can't get it to power on with the keyboard you could try shorting the pins on the keyboard connection (pin 5 and any ground on the board).

3. will0407, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, it now powers on, but the computer is very laggy, and the battery icon has an x in it, which i know means its not picking up the battery or it's knackered. Seeing as I don't think I damaged it as I was careful (I've also lifted the one battery cell I was working on displacing when I realised it was just a screw that needed tighening, and there's no damage on there), I'm hoping it's the former.

Basically if I open a new finder window, it'll take a while, and ill get the beach ball, but even the colours spinning on that aren't smooth.

Trackpad and keyboard are fine

4. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

All MacBooks will throttle performance when the battery is either disconnected or dead (disconnected).

I'd attempt reseated the battery in your case and possibly double check that the cell you lifted didn't get punctured.

5. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did check the cell again and couldn't see any sign of puncture- I lifted it as far as I could, without taking it any further than I had previously as it wasn't all the way off. All conenctions wer eput back and clicked in, so I can't think what it can be other than a punctured battery, but there's no sign of that.

6. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

That's really the only thing that would cause an issue like this that's user replaceable. Try one last thing real quick. Try resetting both the SMC and the PRAM. I've had a few act funny when the battery is disconnected and the SMC isn't reset afterwards.

Maybe try shooting an email to iFixIt explaining your issue and see if they have any suggestions.

7. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Your trackpad and battery issues may very well be related. As the battery ages (and eventually dies), it "swells" ... a symptom of a dying battery is often a frozen track pad. Check the connections to the battery, but don't be surprised if it is indeed dead.

8. will0407, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

The battery was fine before I opened it up though- only had 142 cycles so I don't think there is (or was) anything wrong with the battery.

Gave the SMC and PRAM a go but no good. Doing a restore now but don't expect it to work

UPDATE: restore seemed to be going as normal, albeit a bit slow. had 1 hour 11 left when I went for a shower. Just come back and hit a key to get the screen back on....nothing. Power button...nothing. Did an SMC reset and the charger light went green then orange, but still no response from the power button.Took the charger out, put it back and and still nothing, so it now seems to be dead?!

9. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone have any other ideas on this now that it wont even boot after doing a restore?

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Try an SMC bypass.
    Unplug the magsafe, hold down the power button for 5 sec, plug the magsafe in while holding the power button for another 5 sec. Then let go of the power button and push it again.

If it works it should boot, and the fans will run full speed. It's only a temporary solution though.

11. will0407, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

No good :(

It picks up the standard SMC reset as the magsafe light changes colour

12. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Did you use a metal tool to disconnect the battery connector?

13. will0407, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

I was using a flat head screwdriver because I didnt have a plastic spudger :S although I can't remember if i used it on the connector. Guess I shorted it or something if I did?!

Although that doesn't explain why it doesn't boot now because it booted before connected to power before i tried a system restore, and now it's just dead.

14. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

It is possible, that the connector was shorted, which possibly damaged the battery electronics, or the logic board.

Try turning the computer on with the battery disconnected but with the charger connected. If it still does not start, try the SMC bypass (with the battery still disconnected). If you get it started, run Apple Hardware Test, and see if it reports any errors. If it passes, most likely only the battery is damaged.

15. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, nothing. I'm still baffled as to how it was at least turning on before the internet restore.

16. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quick update- I sold this on to a young guy who thought it;d be a good project to try and fix.

First thing he tried was using an 85w power supply.....this seemed to jump the battery into life and he said the battery and mouse are now behaving as they should! Such a simple solution! A bit annoying that I could have done that myself, but I still made a little bit of money after selling the SSD separately so not all bad.