13" rMBP 4gb vs 8gb ram for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tredstone, Apr 22, 2014.

1. tredstone macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I'm looking to upgrade from my 13" MBA to a 13" rMBP and wanted to know if there would be a significant advantage to having 8GB of ram over 4GB for gaming (my understanding is that the integrated Iris chip shares with system memory). My current MBA has 4GB of ram and gets me through most of my current usage needs, but I'd be willing to make the jump to 8GB if gaming performance would be noticeably better (or if the high DPI "retina" rendering would also benefit).

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

For gaming, in general, 4GB should be sufficient. I dont think you will see too much improvement with getting the 8GB. But I would still recommend 8GB since RAM cannot be upgraded in the rMBP, so what you get, youre stuck with. And while 4GB may be enough for some games now, it may not be enough for games in the future.

3. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

4. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Agreed as well :D Buy the 8GB because you can't upgrade it later. 4GB is probably enough, but you don't know what you will need a year from now.

5. barnettgs macrumors member

My MBP 2007 has 6 GB of RAM and it is almost 7 years old. When it was first came out, it was just 2 GB.

So go for 8 GB.

6. blooperz macrumors 6502

You won't be doing any serious gaming on a 13' rmbp...but I'd still go with the 8 gigs for other reasons...anything over 8 is overkill though.

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

you really should get 8. the xbox 1 has 8 just to put it in perspective.