13" rMBP - battery completely dead overnight, slow as snail until charge reached 5%

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iosuser, Feb 3, 2013.

1. iosuser macrumors 6502a

So last night I close the screen as I always do to put the Macbook to sleep, battery was at around 50%. This morning it went completely dead. Since I bought the rMBP a week ago I've always used the 45W Magsafe charger with the Magsafe 2 adapter as I prefer the angled plug. It wouldn't power on at all, though the light on the Magsafe plug turned red so I assume it was charging.

So I open the box and opened up the 60W charger. As soon as I plugged it in, it immediately powered on without pressing the power button, but everything was going at a snail's pace. Took a good minute to see the logon prompt, another minute to logon. Activity monitor shows the CPU usage pinned at 100%, so I shut it down which took another minute.

Tried again after a few minutes, still slow as a snail. Battery was at 3% at this point. Tried again in a few minutes and the speed came back to normal, the charge was at 5% at this point.

So the issues are, what caused the battery to drain in the first place (power nap is off), and why is it so slow until it reached 5% charge. Anyone seen this behavior before?

2. chrise2 macrumors 6502

If I had to guess, something kept the laptop from going to sleep properly and it just stayed on running. I don't think the 45W charger can charge it while its on so it probably drained until it died. Not sure why it ran slow until the charge was up.

3. iosuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're probably right. My guess is it was Parallels 8, but it was closed when I put it to sleep. I've never had issues with Parallels on my prior uMBP, I've even put it on sleep with a VM running.

The 45W charger did power the rMBP with a partial charge before, mean it was charging the battery and powering the laptop. I'll just forget the angled plug and use the 60W charger now.

The slow response with pinned CPU utilization when it was <5% was a bit unnerving though.

4. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I tested Parallels for a while with my 13" retina and I didn't have the problem and I would always leave the VM running when I closed the lid. I use VMware Fusion mainly and that's fine too. Who knows.