Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Anyone else having this issue? I've done a lot of searching, but no clear cut answers. Its a brand new late 2013 13" rMBP, no user account migration.

I have my hibernation set to 0, but I've done that for my other MBPs without issue. My rMBP is at 100% and by morning its at 10% battery life.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It didn't remain in sleep mode, which consumes about 1% of battery charge for every hour of sleep. For sleep issues, you may find some useful ideas here:

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
It didn't remain in sleep mode, which consumes about 1% of battery charge for every hour of sleep. For sleep issues, you may find some useful ideas here:

It consumes 1% battery charge for for every hour of sleep?

This is wrong. These new haswell chips can sleep for several hours before consuming 1% of power.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It consumes 1% battery charge for for every hour of sleep?

This is wrong. These new haswell chips can sleep for several hours before consuming 1% of power.
You're referring to hibernation or stand by mode, which the OP stated they disabled. Sleep mode does, indeed, consume roughly 1% per hour.

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
You're referring to hibernation or stand by mode, which the OP stated they disabled. Sleep mode does, indeed, consume roughly 1% per hour.

Nope. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Do you even own a late 2013 rMBP with haswell?

If yours is consuming 1% of power while in sleep per hour, something is wrong with yours. I put mine into sleep (and yes, "SLEEP") every night (for 8 hours) and wake up with only 1, sometimes 2% drained.

Same story for my wife's rMBP.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When did Apple state it? For ivy bridge, or haswell? Haswell architecture allows for much lower power sleep states that ivy did not allow for.

You post facts.
From a simple Google search:
Sleep drain: You may notice the battery in your Mac notebook may drain up to 1 % per hour (24% per day) while the computer is in sleep mode. This is normal behavior.
Your turn to post where Apple states otherwise.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
Anyone else having this issue? I've done a lot of searching, but no clear cut answers. Its a brand new late 2013 13" rMBP, no user account migration.

I have my hibernation set to 0, but I've done that for my other MBPs without issue. My rMBP is at 100% and by morning its at 10% battery life.

It's because hibernation is at 0. Leave it at 3 and you won't have this problem.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010

Thank you for those resources. Unfortunately none of them are real solutions. The useful thing I got from it is the wake reason cmd line. When I run it, I get hundreds of lines saying this...

kernel[0] <Debug>: Wake reason: ?

I also get this line:
EC.SleepTimer (SleepTimer)

Any ideas?

It's because hibernation is at 0. Leave it at 3 and you won't have this problem.

Did you ignore my first post?

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

That information looks quite old. The last edit was to clear up formatting. I also don't think OSX sleeps when lid closed unless left for some time as it is immediately available and battery drain seems too high.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Why are you setting hibernation to 0? Mavericks has made a huge improvement with wake time. I don't know how it does it but it works great.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That information looks quite old. The last edit was to clear up formatting. I also don't think OSX sleeps when lid closed unless left for some time as it is immediately available and battery drain seems too high.
Yes, OS X does sleep when the lid closes. The new introduction of Power Nap changes some things, but closing the lid still initiates sleep mode. The amount of battery usage described by the OP indicates that the MBP did not remain in sleep mode.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
So I did a SMC reset and tested again. My rMBP was able to sleep for 3hrs, the longest its been able to sleep. But then it started waking up every 2 minutes with a wake reason of "?".

I'm going to do a reinstall of Mavericks and report back. Its really sad that OSX is so crappy with sleep.

Why are you setting hibernation to 0? Mavericks has made a huge improvement with wake time. I don't know how it does it but it works great.

So that the ram isn't written to my SSD upon sleep.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Ok I believe I solved the problem. If I come across the problem again, I'll post here. I reinstalled OSX so I was able to isolate the problem.

Here's what happened for anyone that comes across the same problem.

When you make the sleep image immutable and your mac initiates Wake reason: EC.SleepTimer (SleepTimer), your mac will continuously try to wake up every few minutes. I'm not sure why this happens, but it may possibly be due to the OS trying to read/write to the sleep image.

I found the SSD tweak in this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505922/

For others following that guide, I recommend you skip making the sleep image immutable.

I would say 1% is possible, but is still quite a lot. My Haswell 13" lost 3% battery over an 8+hr period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.