13" rMBP decision help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoodKidMAADCity, Jan 11, 2013.

1. GoodKidMAADCity macrumors newbie

So i recently purchased the 13" rMBP base model (after returning the macbook air because I was not fond of the screen quality). However, now I am having some doubts. I love everything about the computer except for the fact that I have only 100 GB's of storage space. I am now stuck between returning it and upgrading to the 15"or just keeping it and using external storage or USB 3.0 sticks. I am a student and I plan on bringing the laptop with me to school everyday. I want this computer to last me for a while and it worries me only having 100 GB of free space down the line. Has anyone else faced this dilemma and what are your opinions?

----------

By the way i forgot to mention. I really have no intention to use this for gaming. I have a custom built PC with a gtx 680 that I game on. It will mainly be used for school and every day use (maybe music producing down the line, but for now I use my desktop for that).

2. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

Just get some portable 1TB or 2TB USB3 drives and keep on going.

Since you already have a desktop there's no need for the 15" unless you really want one. Personally I would have at least opted for the 256GB SSD option if I had the funds, 128 is far too limiting.

3. Mercmanman macrumors member

When I travel with my rMBP I take along a 64GB USB3 thumb drive. Cost me $44 at Best Buy.....

That way you keep the portability of the 13" for school and flash will only get cheaper for USB drives...when you need to expand a bit

4. GoodKidMAADCity thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about the 256 but i really don't have the funds (until I get my taxes back). My logic is if I'm going to pay an extra 300 for 256gb i mine as well get a quad core i7 and built in graphics card for only 100 more.

5. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

Very true, well thanks to high density flash storage there's plenty of options, 1TB portable drives, 64GB USB 3 sticks and don't forget the handy Nifty Drive with another 64GB of flash storage in it.

6. GoodKidMAADCity thread starter macrumors newbie

Between a 64 GB usb 3.0 stick and 64 GB sdxc card, what is the better option? Iv read that the usb 3.0 sticks have faster read write speeds but iv read about a lot of compatibility issues with the rMBP with some of the faster Sandisk ones.

7. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Use DropBox to keep your files for school. Then get an external for your media. I got a 128GB in my MBA and have no problems. Though I do have a server for all my content.

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

128GB should be more than enough for school, unless this is your main computer, otherwise you will be fine aye! Save the money bro :D

9. idunn macrumors 6502

128 reasons why not

If already questioning the limited storage available, probably no happier with that situation in time.

Ideally I'd like to keep everything on this MacBook within a massive SSD; as that isn't practical, most movies and other large files have long since been migrated off-site to an external hard drive. Nevertheless, a certain amount of internal storage is just convenient, and for me that would translate into 256GB; with any more being prohibitively costly, and still not large enough anyway. 128GB would just be a constant pain, and who wants to constantly juggle flash sticks?

Since even now considering upgrading to the 15" rMPB, perhaps that would be your wiser move. If carting this thing all over campus, you might still wish to consider the more friendly form factor of the 13" (upgraded to 256GB). But in my estimation this Model A version is over priced and under powered, especially so in comparison to the 15" retina models. If you can live with the size, the 15" retina is a decidedly better choice. Moreover, far less obsolete than the 13" models when Haswell appears (presumably late in 2013).

If you can rationalize keeping the limitation of 128GB, and confidently still happy with that decision several years down the road, then keep it. Otherwise—ditch it.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

There is the option of getting the OWC replacement SSD. If you are still in your return period, though, consider getting the 256GB model. That would still be $200 less than the 15" model (though the 15" has a quad-core processor and discrete GPU).

11. GoodKidMAADCity thread starter macrumors newbie

Im kind of leaning towards the 15 inch. Having such little storage space really scares me. Plus i have a feeling if i stick with the 13 i will regret it when the haswell version is released. Does anyone have experience carrying around the 15 inch in your backpack or to work? Is it a hassle?

12. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I had both, the r13" and r15". As long as your bag can fit 15", you won't know the difference. I upgraded to the r15" after having the 13" because of the space as well as the CPU and graphics. Space is easy these days. Use the cloud. If you don't need the processing power to make money with your rMBP, keep the 13" and save your money.

If you got the money to use, then by all means, grab the 15". You won't be sorry either way.

13. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Get the 15". It is an awesome machine if you can afford it.