13'' rMBP Dilemma - HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aiyaaabatt, Aug 25, 2013.

1. aiyaaabatt, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Okay guys, really would appreciate advice here..

I just purchased a new (sealed) 2013 13'' Retina Macbook Pro with 2.6ghz i5 & 256gb ssd for $1100 off craigslist. Guy gave me his receipt, and warranty is verified until August 2014.

Should I keep this (considering I got such a great price)? Or, in your opinion, should I resell and opt to pay an extra ~$500 for Haswell rMBP? Price is a factor, but if Haswell rMBP offers significantly more battery life & performance, I don't mind too much spending the extra money... but also, I am not a heavy user (will not be gaming or editing), just moderate power needs, and any more than 8 hours per battery charge would just be a bonus, not necessity.

So really, the question is, do you think the Haswell rMBP will be worth the extra ~$500 over my current rMBP? (Taking into consideration the price I got for my 2013 rMBP)

Thanks much in advance!

2. bobbydd21, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

bobbydd21 macrumors regular

Since you are just a normal user and do not do anything graphic intensive you won't really benefit from the graphics upgrade. So really what it comes down to is a few more hours of battery life worth the extra $500 or so. Only you can answer that because it sounds like that will be the only thing you will really benefit from. Personally, it would not be worth it for me considering I have my laptop plugged in a lot. However, if I was on a plane for 12 hours every week then I might reconsider.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think it is worth the extra money, and that's why I am holding out for it. Only you can decide that, though. It all depends if you can afford it, and can wait for it.

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

If were you would keep the money and just enjoy your new 2013 13 inch rMBP. $500 can be invested in a bigger SSD later or something else !

5. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

6. aiyaaabatt thread starter macrumors 6502

No. I have it sealed, sitting on my desk... staring at me... taunting me.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. Yes, I think it really does come down to is the extra battery life worth $500... still, its a tough decision! :)

7. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

At this point it's not even clear how much extra battery life the new rMBP will have considering the power consumption of the retina screen. Just open and enjoy your new computer. If in the future you do decide to sell it you will still be ahead money given how cheap you got it. Enjoy it man and save the money.

8. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

How do you know that item is actually in your box and not some resealed brick?

I bought some items on craigslist and even if they say it is seal I tell them I won't give them the money until they open it up in front of me. I do show them the cash first but a receipt means nothing if you can't trace the information. Does verifying the warranty have that person's information attached to it is trackable?

The only had one person say no and I thought he was scamming regardless because he was acting nervous.

9. aiyaaabatt thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, he showed me (& emailed me a copy) the receipt from Apple Store (online) that matched serial # on the box. Then I looked up serial # on Apple website and the Serial #'s Warranty start / end date matched the purchase date on the receipt. Looks legit to me.

10. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

Good my trust level is low on Craigslist, too many stories about people getting screwed. Better to be safe than sorry for that amount of cash.

11. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I suggest you open it and check it to be safe. If you do not decide to keep it, what would really matter to prove it is new is 1) The aesthetics (not affected for opening it) and 2) Cycles in the battery (If it is new and you turn in on, you would have to go all the way and do the new machine setup to check it out, it should be 1 cycle, maybe 2.

Doing this would take the worry away and should not affect resale value. How long ago the guy bought it according to the receipt? Did he shared with you why he sold it on Craigslist at a so reduced price? It is strange someone would buy something new right on a store to then sold it sealed on Craigslist, but doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong about it.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Keep it and enjoy your computer. There will always be faster "better" computers being released around the corner.

13. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

Keep it. Haswell will only give you a few more hours of battery and $1100 is a pretty good deal for a splendid machine!

14. MisterITGuy macrumors newbie

Make sure you don't have a box of lead.

USE IT! Closed in box isn't worth THAT much more money. If the new ones are so compelling, upgrade, but keep the box. The fact that it has been used a little bit may even increase the value because then you can say it's 100% fine and further verified to be as advertised.

15. robvas macrumors 68020

I just sold my 13" rMBP and I'm holding out for the new ones to come out. 7-8 hrs of battery life is good enough for me, but the better graphics performance (and even more battery life) and the PCI-E SSD will be nice.

In reality if you don't do any gaming than you might as well just stick with the one you bought, though. Keep the $

16. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Sounds like a great price for a rMBP. The owner still had the receipt and everything. I wonder why he would sell it for so low instead of taking it back, especially since he loses money on the sell. Well, he did go through the motions of showing the receipt and emailing the online receipt, and the box is sealed.

Why would he take a loss though when he still has all of this info? Maybe he ran into some rough times and had to sell it quick. Why not take it back though?
    "Let me open the box and make sure that I actually have a rMBP in there."

No brainer.

17. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

That does seem like a steal, pun intended. If you choose to sell it and wait, it's highly likely the next buyer will want to open the box and see it anyway.

18. aiyaaabatt thread starter macrumors 6502

He didn't really take a loss. His cousin is an Apple Store manager, and Apple gave a heavy discount on the rMB, on top of his manager discount (hinting towards a september release of haswell rMBP), so, he actually paid $1189 for it. He originally asked for $1200, but I got his price down to $1100. I think he just had second thoughts and wanted to get rid of it.

19. aiyaaabatt thread starter macrumors 6502

Ended up selling it for $1300, so, $200 profit to go towards Haswell rMBP! The buyer did ask to open it in front of me, which I agreed to. Turns out, there was indeed a rMBP inside. :)

How mad would I have been if there was a brick. Oh well. Sign me up for the haswell rmbp waiting thread!

20. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Nice move!