13" rMBP Display and SSD Manufacturer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radiohead14, Aug 5, 2013.

1. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

hi all.. i think i've made my decision to upgrade to the upcoming Haswell 13" rMBP from my 2011 11" Air. with the Airs.. there was the display and SSD lottery and not knowing if you'd get the better Samsung parts or the, what some consider worse, LG and AUO panels and Toshiba SSDs. is this the same deal with the 13" rMBPs? looking to get some feedback from owners of the current ivy bridge model. thanks

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

It's probably the same. Apple likes to source it's parts from different vendors (if possible). Recently, the SanDisk SSD-s have been added into the mix.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

As far as I know people haven't reported many screen variations or issues with the 13" models. Most of the discussions about display manufacturer and image retention issues is in regards to the 15" models.

4. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

that's what i'm concerned about. from the reviews i've seen.. the sandisk is slower with write speeds than samsung's.

5. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Slower reads but faster writes, though there's less than a 5% difference in either direction.

More importantly there are no quality control issues like the Sandforce controller in the Toshiba drives.

6. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

the samsung ssd is 100megs faster in write vs the sandisk:

http://youtu.be/30T_ujbBkuw?t=13m50s

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My early 2013 i7 3.0 13" rMBP came with a Samsung drive, no clue about the display but it has no IR and I'm completely happy with my purchase.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

These are the new PCIe SSD-s! My 15" rMBP does just around 400MB/s in either direction, with SanDisk 512GB drive.
    PS Are you sure, it will have any impact on your perception of the machine's daily performance?

9. radiohead14, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

my point was.. with both those macbooks being the newly released ones having the pcie ssd's.. that i hope it's not like the previous airs with the panel and ssd lottery.. where you were able to tell the difference. i was hoping that there's more consistency with the macbook pro models. the airs had at least 3 display manufacturers at one point (the LG and AUO were noticeably worse than the Samsung panel), and two for ssd's (the Toshiba being noticeably slower than the Samsung).

i'd like to think that since i'm spending more on the pro model.. that i shouldn't have to worry about display and ssd qualities.

10. priitv8, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68020

I can understand. But being Apple, would you put all your parts supplier eggs into the same basket? Probably not.
    That's why I think we will continue to see several vendors supplying common parts.
    PS I can believe the MBA SSD - Tosh vs Sams was a topic for debate on paper, but having replaced 128GB Tosh with 256GB Sams in my MBA, I really can't tell the speed difference from a regular user's perspective. Honestly.

11. peterson12 macrumors member

I do not feel comfy going with new brand & a controller leaving aside a trusted companion like sandforce. Though there have been few negatives floating around this, does not necessarily mean it is bad. I have been the OWC Mercury 6G SSD since a long time in my MBP & this performs like a charm.