13" rMBP display performance @ 1680x1050?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splitpea, Mar 18, 2013.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Has anyone been using a 13" rMBP at a 1680x1050 resolution? Are you seeing any lagginess in screen updates, scrolling, etc? Does adding an external monitor (for a dual-display setup) make a difference?

I'm not worried about gaming frame rates (since I don't game), but use the hell out of my computer for work, which involves some graphics and a lot of web surfing.

I would like to be able to use the laptop at a higher-than-pixel-doubled resolution, with an additional external display (also 1680x1050), without any decrease in apparent UI responsiveness.

2. MacKid macrumors 6502

If you're doing a lot of typing and web browsing, you won't notice it.

If what you do for some reason involves constant window resizing, it will be apparent. :)

3. chrise2 macrumors 6502

i use the highest setting sometimes when i need a lot of screen real estate for short periods of time. I think performance is just fine. Especially with 10.8.3. Its just a little hard on my eyes. Everything's just a bit too small for long term use. I normally run the middle resolution. Best for retina looks real pretty but the lack of screen real estate makes it pretty useless for my needs.

4. Mercmanman macrumors member

I run mine at 1680 all the time. performance is fine. no lags etc that others report, and I run a thunderbolt display as well at work all day....with both screens going its no problem. 10.8.3 is great as well.

5. lankox macrumors regular

I have the 3.0Ghz i7 and run at 1440 resolution and there is definitely UI lag. Switching desktops is not smooth, scrolling html emails is choppy, some lag in Safari scrolling. I'm wondering if those who are claiming no lag do not have a reference in which to compare?? My old 2011 15" MBP was definitely smoother than the Retina. If you are sensitive to lag then you will not be happy at the 1680 resolution and driving an external display.

6. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, guys, great feedback!

Hm, good point about the comps. My point of reference would be a high-end 15" MBP mid-2010 hi-res (i.e. also 1680x1050). I run 16 Spaces at all times and the aforementioned external monitor an hour or two per day.

With or without the external, I do sometimes currently notice lag when switching desktops or scrolling Firefox, but it generally feels like a task-switching lag, rather than a buffering or rendering lag, if that makes sense. There's a slight pause before it begins the action, but then the whole thing runs smoothly, rather than there being stuttering in the middle or at the end. Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting it? It does seem more common with the external running.

7. lankox macrumors regular

When switching desktops/spaces the lag/stutter is in the middle for me.

8. lesliewj, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013

lesliewj macrumors newbie

are you kidding?

You have the 3.0Ghz i7 and run at 1440 resolution, you still feel ui lag? I don't know exactly what you mean. Do you mean that the display lag happened when you were surfing? If you do nothing, just do some typing, and you will still feel display hoppy when you switch different space? I went to apple store and I had used the rMBP for a while, I opened 5 spaces, typing, surfing, watching HD video, and using iphoto. Then I switched different spaces, I did not feel any display laggy at all.

BTW, I ran at 1440 resolution.

9. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I have the same setup and use the same resolution. Works very smoothly. I sometimes right when starting can see a tiny bit of lag but it goes away as things load into memory and it's too small to work about.

10. lankox macrumors regular

No, I'm not kidding. I see UI lag when switching spaces (brief stutter in the middle of the switch) and when scrolling html email with nothing else going on. This is in comparison to my 2011 15" Macbook Pro (especially with dedicated graphics card switched on). This lag is no big deal for me and would only be a problem for someone who is very sensitive to it.

11. lesliewj macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for your replying. If you compare with your 2011 15' pro, I can understand. That make sense.

12. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i run my 13" rmbp at 1920x1200 and i have never seen any UI lag , i usually run dual 1080p externals on it also.

i use the laptop quite hard too , i have never seen this "ui lag" before.

13. ayeying, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013

ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have no UI lag running at HiDPI 1680x1050.

I tried 1920x1200, it's too blurry for me. How are you holding up to this resolution?