13" rMBP for $1,565 on Amazon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hypobid, Jan 5, 2013.

1. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Fwiw, best buy is running a promotion that they'll price match amazon until January 31st.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

To be honest, that's not really worth it.

I paid $1.8k for a 15" Ivy Bridge Quad-i7, with 8GB of ram and a killer GPU (Nvidia GeForce 650M w/ 1gb VRAM).

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not a good deal. BH Photo has the same item for $1575 but the major difference is no tax. Amazon charges tax (at least in major states like CA). Both offer free shipping. BH has this promotion for a free copy of Parallels Desktop 8, the newest version. It's retail box and it's instant savings too (meaning no rebate forms and such).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897201-REG/Apple_md212ll_a_13_3_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

----------

That is a different matter entirely. But I agree, I'd rather get a 15" retina or not.

4. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Depends on if mobility > performance for the buyer. Each person values these traits differently. I bought a 15", but I can see the drive for the 13" - some days I wish I had the 13 over the 15, I might even switch next generation.

----------

Only for a few states - some not exactly major:
    • California
    • Kansas
    • Kentucky
    • New York
    • North Dakota
    • Pennsylvania
    • Texas
    • Washington

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

California is a major state. So is Texas. And Penn. And New York. And Washington.

----------

Tax still applies. BH Photo offers a very similar price but no tax AND a free copy of Parallels Desktop 8, which you can sell or use.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Do they charge tax in states that they don't operate? I don't pay a sales tax in Oregon, so I'm not familiar with how the system works.

7. Guitar geek macrumors newbie

Nice! Probably going to go into Best Buy and price match while they're still matching online retailers. Was about to go in and get them to match B&H, but if this'll save me a few bucks, why not?

Sure, I'd end up having to pay sales tax, but I have a few random gift cards for Best Buy, and also I'd rather have Best Buy's return/exchange policy to fall back on in case there's any issues. Just easier for me to be able to handle returns at the Best Buy by my house instead of shipping it back to B&H or Amazon.

Can't wait to get my 13" rMBP! The portability is just perfect to me and it's powerful enough for what I need to do on a laptop. All the heavy lifting will still be left to my desktop.

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

To be honest, BestBuy is on the verge of going out of business. These next 12 months will be a deciding factor for them. Do you really want to buy a product from a company, when it might not be serviceable through them in 2-3 years?

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Why take your Mac in for service at Best Buy?

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If their company has any kind of brick and mortar presence in the state, they charge sales tax. Otherwise they aren't registered to collect it in that state, in which case the responsibility technically resides with the buyer to pay it in the form of use tax if applicable in their state.

11. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You're right. If they have AppleCare, they should be fine, even if BestBuy was out of business. I probably should have mentioned/added that if they were to buy insurance/warranty from BestBuy (such as Geek Squad services).

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Amazon charges sales tax, if applicable. Before, they didn't charge sales tax regardless. BH Photo doesn't charge sales tax unless you buy/ship to New York, where they apparently have a megastore. I live in California where sales tax was just raised 0.5% starting 2013 and is/was already one of highest sales tax states, I'd rather buy from BH. Since you live in Oregon, you don't need to worry about this stuff at all since you don't have a sales tax at all. In that case, you'd look for the lowest price and ignore sales tax.

----------

Since BB is basically going to go bankrupt soon, I'd say use up your gift cards ASAP! :D

It used to be just physical direct store but California has since passed a new law that includes subsidiaries and suppliers too. This closes the loophole that Amazon has been using for quite some time.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

The sale takes place in the state where you are located, so no online retailer should charge you tax.

Technically people owe sales or use tax (based on the sales tax in their residences) on products purchased in other states, but retailers are obligated to collect sales tax only on sales to customers in states where they have operations. Some states like Illinois, New York, and California (who generally are having major budget issues right now) are pressuring online retailers to collect taxes and we'll see more and more retailers charge tax on interstate sales.