13" RMBP for "Creative Pros"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmarc1, Dec 10, 2015.

1. mmarc1 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm having the same Skylake dilemma as everyone… so since the 13" is the last to get updated, I'd like to know, if it is suitable, after the super speedy SSD update for 4K ProRes 422HQ editing in final cut (I don't mind working in proxies, but I'd like to do resolve colour corrections in high fidelity. I'll pass the 13" along after the 15" gets updated, but I don't want to waste my money on something that wont even work. I also do a lot of 3D rendering, lots photo-realistic. I know 2Core isn't the best, but I can survive long render times, and some network augmented rendering for a few months.

Tell me what you think, or maybe you have some experience.

Cheers,

Marc

2. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

That's a tough one. CAN the 13" do it, of course. As you stated if you can survive long render times and letting the computer do it thing for many hours while it renders... Final Cut with gopro 1080P footage at 60fps can bring the top end 13" to a crawl due to thermal issues.

I say this from experience.

3. mmarc1 thread starter macrumors newbie

1080P H.264, or optimised to ProRes @ 60fps brings it to a crawl in final Cut Pro X (or 7)? Still dammit… that's REALLY bad.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No thats not really bad that is what happens when you buy the wrong computer for the job.

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

3D rendering's main requirement is lots of RAM, so get 16gb...period. Next priority would possibly be a dedicated GPU, and last up would be a faster processor.

FWIW, the 15" screen size makes work/editing easier on the eyes than working on a 13".

6. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

The latest version of Final Cut. rendering takes up to triple the time of the timeline once throttling sets in. Each machine will be different as some will throttle more than others but this is the case with the 13" in my possession :( You have to remember the GPU and CPU share the same TDP limit on those CPUs and final cut uses the GPU and CPU to render. Because of this, it's going to be slower once both are being utilized at the same time. Like someone else said, the 15inch is worth it. IMO as well..