13" rMBP for video editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric8199, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

How well can the 13" rMBP handle video editing? I'm going to be in the market for an upgrade in the next 12 months, so I'm trying to decide what I want to get. I have a 15" rMBP right now, but really like the size and portability of the 13". I don't want to have issues editing though. I use FCP X mostly.

I'm thinking for the price I pay for a 15", I could get a 13" and an external monitor for home. What do you guys think?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think it depends on the type of video you intend to edit.

3. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Basically YouTube videos. 1080p, not a ton of graphics.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The a 13" rMBP will handle them just fine. Enjoy.

5. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now looking back at the specs, I think I'm going to stick with the 15" for a number of reasons. I was looking at the $2400 one, which has 16gb of RAM, dedicated graphics card and its quad core. I feel like I'm going to be taking a step backward if I go with the 13", and I'd rather not sacrifice performance for size when the 15-inch isn't much bigger. Basically this computer will need to last me the next three years at the least, so I might as well get the best I can afford to get. I also do a lot of graphic design and photo editing, among other things, so the extra horsepower can't hurt.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Glad you could sort that out all by yourself. Good luck. :rolleyes:

7. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, thanks for your help. I see now why I haven't posted in these forums for several months. It's not really necessary to be ignorant. I was looking for the opinions of people and didn't entirely realize the 13" was dual core while the 15" was quad core. Excuse me for wasting your time. I remember when people weren't rude to others asking a simple question. Why do Apple people have such a bad reputation again? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Geez, you don't have to be so sensitive. You either want the big laptop or you don't. It has to do with lugging around that huge thing around, and making room for it wherever you go. If you don't mind that, why would you go with the smaller laptop?

And relax. Its only a laptop.