13" rMBP i5 vs i7 thermals?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geoffrevB, Nov 23, 2012.

1. geoffrevB macrumors newbie

I`m considering the 13" rMBP i7 more for future-proofing than the need for performance. But I'll be using it with an external monitor most of the time and I'm concerned that the reduction in cooling efficiency while in clam-shell mode will leave the fan running at high rpm all the time, even under light loads. Anyone know where I can find direct comparison of the 13" rMBP i5 vs i7 in relation to thermals?

2. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

Couldn' find any tests for you, but it SHOULD be fine either way, since Apple allows you to run it in clamshell mode. So if anything were to happen, normal warranty should cover it for you. But then again, trying to explain stuff like that to the people we can talk to that work for Apple would be a pain in the ass. Under light loads it should be fine, under gaming... My biggest concern would be the screen actually. Then again, i never run in clamshell. :p

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sumbody did a side-by-side and found heavy load same, but normal operation, I5 fan came on later (stayed quiet longer), in normal integrated display mode.

4. geoffrevB thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that was for the 11" MBA, though the article was educational nonetheless.

5. mac jones, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

They will both be ok under light load.

They will both become toasters under heavy load.

Trust me on this :D

I have the i5, and they are tuned for sound not heat. They will get quite warm before the fan budges of 2k. As a matter of fact, i've never even seen the fan ramp up. But then again, I haven't stressed it.
    (i'm pretty sure it's not 'broken'). Combine this with the ultra quiet fans and these are pretty much noiseless under normal use.

Now if your gaming then your going to get some fan activity. But if you bought on of these expecting to game a lot your an idiot anyway.