13" rMBP inferior to 15" rMBP, resolution aside?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Dec 3, 2012.

1. thadoggfather, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Today I compared the 13 and 15 retinas sort of side by side, or at least back-and-forth.

The 15 was beautiful. Ever so slightly pink tinged but very subtle and not really an issue at all to my eyes. The colors were awesome. I had to know amidst this whole LG-Samsung debacle I read on these boards which display I was staring at. Coincidentally, or maybe not as I'm not a retina owner and have no clue, it was a Samsung screen as told by the Terminal code prompt.

The 13 I tried running the same Terminal prompt but it didn't spit out any details. Anyways, the 13 seemed like OVERLY OVERLY blasted with pink tinge and seemed to be coming on stronger from the left side. The colors didn't jump out of the screen nearly as much, either.

Reminds me of the iPad 3 endless swap game I did to find an evenly tinted display so I could iron it out in Color Profiles jailbreak tweak. When there's hot pink bleed shooting out of a corner of the screen, or some other odd and obvious uniformity issue, they weren't something I could look past.

Anyways, has this been your experience as well? I'm sure like anything Apple, depends which manufacturer made your display and luck of the draw with the wild card stock calibration/QC variance.

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you should visit a therapist for counseling about your OCD.

3. thadoggfather, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

perhaps I ought to see an optometrist as well :)

4. Mdwall macrumors member

I don't think inferior is really a good descriptor.
    Better for different things really would be what I would say. I like the size of the 15" better since it spends most of the time on my lap (heh) the extra size makes it easier for me to type on and I like the larger screen. If I needed to travel more and worked in smaller areas that might change. I can see why some would pick a 13" computer over a 15" in some cases.

5. afb8 macrumors newbie

With the title, I thought OP was referring to the big geekbench performance between the two.

But I wouldn't take the slight tinge thing too seriously. Nothing a calibrator wouldn't be able to take care of.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

I have both of these. I've looked at them side by side on a few identical web pages. They looked pretty much the same.

No two screens are identical. Your going to get variations.

If you go to a store and compare two machines side by side and see something unfavorable with one, there's a good chance it's anomalous. Compare two more and your going to see something else, maybe the reverse.

I think that all this type of scrutiny can be fun. Or I can make you nuts. You see a lot of that here. :D

7. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Yeah I saw another 13" rMBP at another store, looked pristine!

Definitely panel variation on that one particular one.

You'd think a store wouldn't want to show off a really weird LCD if that's the only one they have to show off instead of multiple.