13 rMBP just under the battery 'threshold'?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justit, Oct 27, 2012.

1. justit macrumors 6502a

I've narrowed my decision for 13" rMBP vs 15" rMBP down to the need for a good battery. (Duo vs Quad is irrelevant to my needs as is the 13" MBA)

Two reviews are miles apart on battery life tests:

MACWORLD
    [​IMG]

LAPTOPMAG
    [​IMG]

The 15" seems to surpass the threshold where the battery life surpasses the pixels it pushes via its larger battery size. The 15" pushes more pixels and yields 30 minutes more battery life. In other words, Apple should have made the 13" rMBP battery even larger :eek: just to match the 15" performance.

Anyone seeing 13" rMBP better performance than the paltry 4:40 in real world usage (although rigorous) or better than 15" rMBP?

2. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I don't think the 4:40 test reflects real-world usage, unless you're watching a Lord of the Rings trilogy on your laptop. I think the difference has more to do with the quad-core i7 being a bit more power-efficient with the same workload than the dual-core i5.

3. justit thread starter macrumors 6502a

If that's true, the 15" rMPB would easily be my choice. Anyone have real world usage on the 13" rMBP ?

4. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I'll get back to you on that, but I think Laptopmag's would be pretty close.

5. magbarn macrumors 68000

Waiting for anandtech's review. My real world usage comes pretty close to his tests.