13" rMBP making clicking/tapping noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryan914, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Ryan914 macrumors newbie

As of about 15 minutes ago my 13" rMBP has started making a ticking/tapping/clicking noise on the right side, I think just below the screen. It sounds like nothing I've ever heard, a strange tapping sound. I've tried rebooting and clearing the PRAM but it's still there, it's quite noticeable in a quiet room. Any ideas?

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

It might be the fan... Either something got in there and is blocking the fan, or just simply the fain is dying ( came bad from factory, etc. ).

3. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

Bottom lid cover is rubbing on the upper case. The cover and top case mates together perfectly and perhaps a screw is not fully tighten and lid float freely and rub on the top case. Get a pentalobe screw driver and reseat the lid cover onto the top lid.

4. Ryan914, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

Ryan914 thread starter macrumors newbie

Whatever is making it makes an even louder tap sound when I lift the computer up or rock it from side to side. It continues to make the same sound, but quieter, intermittently on its own, even on a flat surface like a desk.

It also CANNOT be the lid or case making the sound, because it ONLY occurs when the machine is awake and running, if it is off or asleep the clicking noise will not appear at all, even during movement.

The fans appear to be running normally at the moment, and temperatures look fine:
    [​IMG]

I've scheduled Apple to call me tomorrow morning to get to the bottom of this, I'll post back with results. If anyone else has got any ideas about this it'd be much appreciated :)