13" rMBP mid running ableton/reason?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by j0n4th4n, Oct 28, 2013.

1. j0n4th4n macrumors newbie

so heres the scenario,

i have a mac mini late 2012 base model with 8GB ram connected to 24 inch DELL. so in terms of size of a screen i got it covered.

deciding where i should get 13" 2.4/8GB/256GB or 15" 2.0/8GB/256GB i will mostly use it for music producing software like ableton live, reason. Maybe some CS software like PS, ID, and lightroom.

i know both will handle just fine those software because i have them on my mini.

i know the i7 is better than i5. but i dont want to have an 15" i7 if 13" i5 can perform really well on those tasks so which one is the better choice ?

2. j0n4th4n thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jont-fu macrumors regular

The 13" is very similar in power to your Mini, but it has a better GPU (Iris Pro). So if you are happy with the performance of your Mini, then you should be also with the 13" rMBP.

Take a look at your biggest projects in Live; watch the CPU meter while playing through the most complex parts. Does the CPU meter go over 50%? If not, you will probably be fine with the 13" for the next few years.

The 15" has a quad core CPU, which translates directly to more tracks, more software instruments, more effects. Or maybe 96 kHz monitoring, if your audio interface supports it.

Are you going to work with the external monitor? I feel that the 13" screen is too cramped to work with Live, but that is just my personal experience. I had a 13" Air once, but did not like to work with it because of the screen size. Today I got the 15" rMBP and will see in the next weeks how it turns out. The performance is exceptional.

4. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

The 17"MBP is the best for all production especially music. Mine never fails it is my main computer in my studio and live.

5. j0n4th4n thread starter macrumors newbie

too bad they dont sell 17" rMBP, i always want one. :(

6. j0n4th4n, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

j0n4th4n thread starter macrumors newbie

i will look at them now more carefully. Im overall happy with mini handling ableton or reason. you are right when i have multiple tracks going on, can be little bit sluggish but im i cant deal with it especially mini only cost $600. I just hate it when the fan starts kicking in, can be annoying.

yes, thats why im weighing on quad core,so can perform better on 1 big tasks. i also intend to keep my computer/technology 3-5 years. been really lucky with original macbook (7 years going strong) and c2d mbp (non unibody) for 5 years (dead last year :( ) I got all the fuzz having 16 GB ram for future proof, but i feel like 8GB is more than enough, since i will have mini running as well, i will let the rMBP handdle the bigger task

no most likely im not gonna have external monitor , i will just have the two running in the same time and shared files.

at the beginning i really want 15" rMBP but after reading this forum i kinda weighing on 13" rMBP mainly because i have a 24" monitor, so if want to see something big i can do it on my external, however retina its soo preeetyyy :eek::eek::eek: