13" rMBP now? or wait for 12" rMBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chelch, Apr 2, 2014.

  1. chelch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #1
    I'm looking to replace my wife's 2011 MBP. Would you pick up a 13" rMBP now? or wait for the 12" rMBA? She uses it mainly for browsing and watching video in bed, but I know she'd love to play Europa Universalis IV as well. Thanks in advance! :)
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    We don't if/when apple produces a 12" MBA so asking which model would be better is hard question to answer.

    If you can wait, then yes that would be the best because you can then see exactly what apple is selling.
     
  3. robvas macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #3
    I'd wait for the new model if you don't absolutely need to upgrade
     
  4. skaertus macrumors 68030

    skaertus

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    Location:
    Brazil
    #4
    Rumors point to the release of a 12-inch retina MBA, but we cannot be 100% sure until it gets released. Even if we knew for sure Apple will release a 12-inch 2304x1440 MBP, we know nothing of its other characteristics (weight, size, processor). We can only guess. Perhaps an educated guess, but still a guess.

    If you need something now, then buy the 13-inch retina MBP, as it is the only option.

    If you can afford to wait, then wait for the next version of the 13-inch retina MBP and for the likely-to-be-launched 12-inch MBA. When both laptops are released, you can have an idea of which one you should get.
     
  5. TheHomeRun macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    #5
    It depends if your wife/you are replacing the computer because she/you wants a shiny new computer of if the 2011 MBP has stopped functioning. If she can wait then I agree with maflynn, wait so you know exactly what Apple is planning for the new MBA. Don't fall into the trap of the waiting game however, because by the time June/July rolls around you may be tempted to wait until September/October for the rMBP refresh. Then maybe the next refresh will hold something better, and deeper down the rabbit hole you go...

    If the 2011 MBP stopped working, is not on applecare, and your wife/you need to have a computer, then it sounds like the rMBP is the way to go (as it seems you have already dismissed the 2013 MBA).

    FWIW, even though the difference in weight between the current Air and rMBP is only ~0.5 lbs, the rMBP feels significantly heavier/more substantial. Make sure to get a sense of the weight in a local Apple Store before making any decisions.
     
  6. chelch thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #6
    I'm the one deep down the rabbit hole. I've been waiting for a new mini... now broadwell iMac/MBP... I sold my 2009 mini a couple weeks ago and thought maybe I could survive off her laptop until Broadwell and get her something current.

    I'm seriously considering a 13" rMBP now. I've dismissed current MBAs due to lack of retina.

    But do 13" MBA users think it's worth waiting? If the 12" rMBA is what it sounds like it could be... is it the ultimate perfect laptop?
     
  7. TheHomeRun macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    #7
    I am actually in a similar position. My 2008 Penryn MBP just shuffled off its mortal coil over the weekend (it had already been brought back from the dead several times) and I am trying to survive off my iPad and iPhone for two months until the new MBAs are released. Feels like a first-world edition of Survivor -- will I make it or succumb to the allure productivity and a full size keyboard?
     
  8. twingo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2009
    #8
    You have to wait a long time for a retina MBA. First Apple has to develop better batteries or a new retina display which consumes much less energy.
    If you want 8 hours battery time, get the 13" rMBP.
     
  9. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    #9
    No they don't!

    Apple could use an IGZO retina screen that uses a lot less power. Additionally, Intel's upcoming Broadwell processor is also 30% more efficient than Haswell.

    A retina MBA is very doable in the near future.

    Going to an ARM processor would save even more power (if you could tolerate a move away from Intel).
     
  10. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #10
    You won't see Broadwell until late 2014 at the earliest. Full production in 2015.
     
  11. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

    Boyd01

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Location:
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    #11
    I'm confused as to what you're trying to do. Why would you need a retina MBP to browse the web and watch video in bed? If the new computer is for her then why not just get a current MBA?

    But if it's for you, then I think the standard advice that others have already offered is correct. If you need a computer NOW, then buy the model that best fits your needs. If you can wait 6 months, then there is no reason to make the purchase now. Current models will only get cheaper then.

    Since nobody really knows that Apple might introduce next or when it will be available, how could you make an intelligent choice between a current model and a rumor?
     
  12. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    #12
    I will wait then for Broadwell.

    (Lord knows how long I've already waited for a retina MBA!)
     
  13. DoctorTech macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2014
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    #13
    Wait if you can

    My wife and I both had 13" 2011 MBPs until this past November when I upgraded to the latest 13" MBPr.

    In my opinion, the MBPr was worth every penny because it is thinner, lighter, faster, and has a better screen. With all that said, if your wife is getting by with the older MBP, I would wait to see what Apple announces at the WWDC since you are already 3/4 the way through the typical product cycle.
     
  14. halledise macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    #14
    chelch - fall in love with your wife all over again - pretend it's Feb 14 once more - and tell her something like 'the wait :apple: will be worth it' :)
     
  15. chelch thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #16
    ;)
     
  16. chelch thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #17
    Okay... so more of you are saying wait... I think it's a safe bet.

    There's conflicting info out there about Broadwell. We won't see desktop chips until Q4 and Q1 2015 for sure, but the mobile chips are all over the place. There's info that Broadwell mobile chips are in production now...maybe... meaning Apple's 12" fanless rMBA could be the first Broadwell laptop... maybe... I don't see anything else for MBPs or iMacs until Sept-Nov like everyone is saying, and even then it's more likely the Haswell refresh and not Broadwell. I think we see a new mini and the rMBA in June and maybe Apple TV and some iPod/iPad updates.

    I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 13" rMBP but thanks to you guys/girls I'll wait... cheers! :)
     
  17. esskay macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    #18
    Browsing and video in bed sounds to me like "iPad"! ;)
     
  18. sixrom macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2013
    #19
    I have the current 13" and it's fantastic. I don't expect a big change with the 12" size. If anything the additional display area of the 13" is quite advantageous.
     
  19. Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
  20. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2013
    #21
    I'd definitely get the rMBP now and see if the 12" rMBA is worth upgrading to later.
     
  21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

    BenTrovato

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2012
    Location:
    Canada
    #22
    You can make a flow chart to easily answer the question:

    Do I need laptop prior to June 2014? Yes --> Buy rMBP. No --> Wait for 12" rMBA.
     
  22. chelch thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #23
    you are brilliant. I ordered an iPad Air. :)

    she's not too thrilled about it... my wife... but I think in time she'll come around. We have an 18 month old so there's opportunity there as well...

    Thanks for the help!
     
  23. radiologyman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2011
    #24
    My 2 year old is a pro at using her favorite apps on iphone and ipad. My wife rarely uses her MBA, she prefers ipad mini retina and iphone.
     
  24. chelch thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    #25
    top 5 apps for a 2 year old?
     

Share This Page