13 rMBP now, wait for v2, or MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lorcar, Mar 5, 2013.

1. lorcar macrumors member

Hi everyone
    about to buy the 13rmBP, but the more I read the more I am confused.
    In particular, what pulls me off is IR retention, pixelation of images on no-retina-ready websites, sluggishness compared to MBA.
    THe last one is particularly important for me, I am leaving PC/WIND (old lenovo x60 bought in 2006) because I cant stand anymore crashes and sluggish behaviour. It's not just because my pc is old, at the office (brand new) is the same.

So, should I simply get the MBA? or wait for Apple to upgrade 13rMBP and enjoy second-mover advantage? or all of the above problems exist only for heavy graphic use and I'd love the rMBP anyway?
    thanks

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Do you need it? If so, get it. You can wait all you want for the next but once the next comes out you'll want the next next one.

I just recently purchased the mid level of the 13" rMBP (2.6GHz model) and I don't feel any sluggish at all compared to the 15" MBP Mid-2010.

Remember, you do have an SSD driving the system in the rMBP vs your old Windows PC which ran a regular hard disk drive. In fact, my work laptop boots up and opens applications just as fast as a slow SSD while running on a 5400RPM drive. It's a bit surprising.

3. lorcar thread starter macrumors member

my main concern is browsing the internet with 30+ tabs open, listen music, youtube/streaming etc, and maybe browsing your folder
    Is MBA good for this? I feel more comfortable with the 4 additional G with the rMBP

4. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I'm coming from a 2011 13" MacBook Air and my base 13" rMPB is not sluggish at all in comparison. I've had it for several weeks and have only even seen a beach ball once when I had several resource hungry apps running at once. I don't know that I've ever had 30 tabs open but I watch Youtube videos while grading online all the time with no hiccups. Some websites do look bad, but the rich colors and sharp text when I'm writing more than make up for it to me. No IR problems here either.

5. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

6. lorcar thread starter macrumors member

well, it's different, i dont own an Air already

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The bottleneck for these kinds of things (when they happen) are the apps and OSX. The hardware isn't the issue.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

I had a 2012 MacBook Air that I lost while traveling. I replaced it with a 2.5GHz 13" rMBP. I don't notice sluggishness at all. I usually have about 10 browser tabs open. However I also use it with Parallels Desktop and Windows 7 and it hardly breaks a sweat. By contrast my MacBook Air would usually get noisy because of the fans. The rMBP has better thermals.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Another option is to find the best deal you can on a 2011 or 2012 (sandy bridge or ivy bridge) MBP and update the HDD to an SSD and take the ram up to 16 gb yourself relatively cheaply.

You'll have a speedy responsive rig that you can comfortably use for the next few years. By that time, not only will Apple not have worked out any retina screen teething issues, the price will probably come down as well. Similar as to how the macbook air went from the underpowered CEO laptop in 2008 to the entry level portable in 2011.

10. Serban Suspended

If you want to but a macbook (air or pro, doesn't matter) you should wait for next haswell intel witch brings a little boots in graphics (hD 4600) and will be a notebook for 9h use (7 h nowdays)

11. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

yeah - i'm thinking thats coming this year for sure. im just curious to see if they'll go for the back-to-school season or wait for the holiday season.

12. Serban Suspended

I think in august we will have a macbook retina with haswell 15" or 13.3". I hope they will not major the price from the current now

13. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

yeah, but if they do then there'll be plenty of the current ones available on the cheap, you know?