13 rmbp or 13 air (certain specifications and needs)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by life4567, Dec 24, 2012.

1. life4567 macrumors newbie

Hi, I want to buy a macbook, and I am not sure whether to buy rmbp 13 or air.
    my use will be web browsing, word documents/powerpoint, downloading lectures from the internet, iTunes library, as well as a few other apps.
    I will either buy 8gb ram, 256 gb ssd air.
    or 8 gb ram 128 gb ssd pro.
    I want the processor to be fast enough to last 3-4 years, without being slow (in 2-3 years). So is the air processor good now and future wise? Or should I go for the smaller ssd, but better processor in the rmbp 13. Before u say get 15 retina, I am not considering the 15 inch retina at all

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

The tasks you listed are not intensive - you should be fine with any base model for 3-4 years unless your tasks change.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I would ask these questions:
    -do you travel?
    -do you have an iTunes library over say 70-80 gb?

of even a little but yes for either of those then go for the air.:)

4. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Hello. Both the machines will handle the tasks you list extremely well. Keep in mind, that the actual processing power is not so different (expressed in geekbench, the 13" base MBP is around 10% faster than the 13" base MBA). Naturally the MBP is more upgradeable. On the flip side,the MBA has superior screen resolution.

Regarding future proofing, both are as well capable to stand the test of time (specificationwise), but it might be, that the form factor of the 13" pro is nearing its end-of-life. How this would in fact impact your machine's aftermarket potential is anyone's guess.

I believe in intuition. Go to the shop, fondle them both. Take the one which makes you feel warm and cuddly.

RGDS,

5. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Go check them out. If you are ok with the little more weight of the 13inch Retina and can afford it, it's a no brainer.

6. noiseordinance macrumors regular

I wouldn't want the 13" rMBP for any purpose. Without discrete graphics, there's nothing pro about it. Given your needs, I'd go with the air in a heartbeat.

7. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Given those 2, I would go with the MacBook Air.

8. life4567 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll go check them out and decide. Would it be worth that extra 100 dollars to upgrade the processor in the air? Would I realise the difference and is it better for the future?

9. lightz39 macrumors regular

Retina, always the retina. The air is ugly. (Both the display and the outline of the display. The silver makes it look cheap.)

10. stevelam macrumors 65816

upgrade the processor to do what?? you basically listed a bunch of things an ancient computer could do just fine.