13" rMBP or 15" MBP non retina: can't decide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dabigpapi, Apr 1, 2013.

1. dabigpapi macrumors newbie

I have the rMBP 13 in now and I have until saturday to decide if I want to keep it or return it and get the previous MBP 15 in. I would get the one with 8 gb ram. I like that I can add an SSD later this summer, and upgrade it to 16 gb of ram when I want, but I love the feel of the rMBP and the screen. What should I do?

2. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Keep the Retina. If you appreciate the screen and form factor, then in 3 years when all laptops are significantly thinner/have high-res displays, you'll kick yourself for giving that up. It's a great machine

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree. Keep the rMBP unless you absolutely need the power of the 15".

4. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

it really depends on your needs. only you can decide. I would go for the 15" mbp, with an hdd and an optibay and ssd, with the hi res display of 1050p.

Retina are great, but graphic power is not good enough yet, it has many issues apparently... but, it's true that cMBP are too old. they come with an optical drive. Not even desktops macs come with an optical drive... apple should re-design this machine, they should have done it couple years ago... they are leaving it with no changes, so it's easier for them to kill it.

5. dabigpapi thread starter macrumors newbie

See thats what is tough. I am going into the Apple Store today. I do love the screen, but I HATE that I cant upgrade it and that my hard drive is so small. I dont mind the size but a 15" would be nice. I just think it would be nice also to upgrade RAM at my choosing, and throw in an SSD instead of the disk drive when I want. I really wanted a 15" retina but $500 for the upgrade right now is alot and I can put $200 to the 15" non retina and have the ability to customize it to my liking. Ya know? Ugh. Such a tough decision!

----------

If you can see my reply to Troy that is my reasoning. The power would be nice and a bigger hard drive would be too. I have a 500 GB external but its annoying to take everywhere.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

False. The graphic issues you have heard of are strictly in the software drivers with bad optimization. The 10.8.3 update proves this, as scrolling in Safari and even the UI is more smooth. Not quite perfect yet, but the fact that a software update made it better shows that it is in the software. If Intel HD 4000 can handle some new games at low resolutions, it can handle OSX UI perfectly.

7. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

There is much more in graphics than osx ui. Connect a cinema display to a 13" retina, and say hi to the whisper of the fans in idle.

8. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Doesn't it make sense that the fans might kick on when driving an external display?

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Completely UNTRUE and FALSE.

----------

Get a refurb 13" rMBP or refurn 15" rMBP then.

10. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The 15" MBP will be significantly more powerful than the 13" rMBP.

I'd recommend switching to the 15" MBP and upgrading to 16GB RAM as you mentioned. You'll also have a dedicated graphics card and probably a faster processor.

11. moxxey macrumors regular

I bought a 13" MBP last summer, kept it for about 12 days, returned it after much deliberation.

Moved up to the 15" rMBP and not looked back. Yes, it's not the most portable device, but the larger screen makes a massive difference and I've since ditched my 27" Cinema Display and use this rMBP every day.

Sometimes I do wonder if I made the right decision now there's a 13" rMBP, but each time I compare the 15" and 13" rMBP, side-by-side, the 15" just seems right for a daily use laptop.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

This is also true, EXCEPT you wont "probably" get a faster CPU, you WILL get a more powerful CPU.

From dual-core to quad-core.

13. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

If I didn't have to carry the computer with me throughout the city every day I would 100% take a hi res 15classic over the 13R.

even the base 15 over the 13R.

Better processor, dedicated graphics, larger display.

13R will be dated very fast with intel working hard on their new chips with integrated graphics... 4000 Does not drive that display "properly". That being said the 15c will hold its presents longer as a tool to you.