13" rMBP or 21.5" iMac? Help Please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MikeyAndTheCity, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MikeyAndTheCity macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2013
    So the time has come to retire the old 2006 17" MBP. It's been showing it's age lately and I have decided to replace it. However, I am having quite a bit of trouble deciding what to replace it with.

Gaming with mac has completely changed since Steam was released and wasn't really a factor to consider when I first bought my machine. My library of games has also increased, yet some of them remain uninstalled because this old thing just can't run them. I'm looking for a mac that can play today's current games on roughly medium settings (or high if possible). Portability is nice and I really like the idea of being able to take my computer anywhere (while I do have a MBP, the 17" was/is a chunky monster and it hasn't ever moved much from its desk position in it's long lifespan). TL;DR - I'd like something fast, nothing that chugs along. Gaming performance is moderately important and portability sounds appealing.

The budget is roughly $2,500 and these are the two different macs that I have specced out:

13" rMacBook Pro
    2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    Apple Protection Plan (of course!)
    Total: $2,308.00

21.5" iMac
    3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM -2X8GB
    1TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB GDDR5
    Total: $2,128.00

Basically, they're both decked out in an attempt to future proof them (it worked out well with this one!). I have also been considering a new iPad but that one has me on the fence until they release one with the Touch ID.

I guess the biggest question I have is how would each of these configurations be at gaming? I imagine that the iMac would hold up reasonably well, and I'm just nervous that the 13" would be way too sluggish to do much on. I would also consider other configurations or models, if you have a better suggestion within my budget!

Thanks for any help!
  2. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    You don't want integrated graphics for gaming, even good ones that are currently being pushed by marketing can't hold up to even low-mid range dedicated cards outside of synthetic benchmarks.

You might want to consider getting a 2012 15" rMBP, as it will be roughly on par with that iMac, will still be much more portable than your 17" (its only 2 kg, insane). Most importantly, you won't be kicking yourself for not getting a laptop.

Going from 17" to 13 is a huge jump, I wouldn't recommend it, not to mention that 13" is rather underpowered compared to other options. You will find that 15" is really very "moveable" - the unibody construction especially on retina models is so solid. Compared to it, the 17" pre-unibody is a unfit mess that bends and creaks when you pick it up..
  3. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Dec 13, 2012
    Touch iD is hit and miss, no way i would buy a idevice for it.