13" rMBP Owners- Resolution & font smoothing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lankox, Mar 9, 2013.

1. lankox macrumors regular

1) Wondering what resolution you are running day to day?
    Best for Retina is too big and the 1440x900 seems a little blurry to me.

2) Have you turned off font smoothing?
    I turned off font smoothing which helped with the blurriness a little but also make the fonts look a little washed out.

3) Notice any UI lag difference between resolutions?
    I didn't notice any difference going from Best for retina to 1440X900.

2. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I'll use the 1140 x 900 normally. Best for retina is just too low resolution. I'll sometimes go all the way to 1680 x 1050 when I really need space, but that's tough on the eyes.

I think increasing the resolution increases the choppiness a little bit, but its nothing that I particularly care about. It might also be in my head. I'm also not demanding and I don't consider a computer unusable if the applications menu doesn't swoop in buttery smooth at 60 fps. As long as the computer works and doesn't crash, I'm happy.

3. mike5065 macrumors newbie

you could try TinkerTool, which allows you to reduce (or increase) the effects of font smoothing, without turning it off altogether.

I have a cMBP 13", and set font smoothing to "Light" (there are 3 settings), which seems to be the best setting for most usage, to my eyes.

I'm not sure how this will behave on a Retina screen, but it's certainly worth a try.

4. lankox thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggesting. Looks like a good compromise.