13" rMBP running hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by niclliot25, Oct 28, 2012.

1. niclliot25 macrumors member

I just bought it on Friday and I've noticed that it seems to be constantly warm, even when I'm just doing something simple like using Word. My old black MBP would get a bit warm if I was watching video or something, but for just normal use I didn't feel much heat. It's pretty annoying because I'm just typing and feeling the warmth on my wrists. Aside from that I love it so far, but this is bothering me more than I'd like.

Is this normal or something I should be concerned about?

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Mine doesn't feel warm at the wrists while doing non-flash-video/encoding tasks. The only place I notice minimal warmth is my lap, specifically towards the back of the base of the notebook. Not noticeable if I don't think about it though. Here's an istat with Chrome with 7 tabs, ms word, several finder windows, and an installer running.

Attached Files:

3. niclliot25 thread starter macrumors member

Where can I download istat? I tried to do with through widgets at the apple website but it wont open the page to download it.

Mine is noticeably hot. It's a good thing that yours is not, but it has me a bit concerned.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's normal for Apple.

Cool running laptops are not a priority, being wafer thin is.

5. niclliot25 thread starter macrumors member

Downloaded another temperature monitor and most everything is running in the 40s Celsius and many running over 45 degrees. So much hotter than yours.

6. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

niclliot.. istat is a good start, might also try closing down some things and checking if the fans/temp go down.. you'd be surprised at what can cause it.. my gf was recently complaining about her fans running high and her macbook pro becoming warm.. ended up being what must've been a poorly coded web page which was open in the background and was running down the cpu/gpu.

oh and ignore ixodes.. he's a troll going from thread to thread sprouting rubbish.. ;)

7. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Mine has been super cool - running word and transferring data from external hdd at the same time. Sorry I couldn't put your mind at ease

8. niclliot25 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, maybe ill have to go down the the Apple store and play around with one and see if it heats up quite a bit. With two other people not feeling any heat coming from there's there may be an issue.

----------

I actually turned off the computer to close everything down, but its still very warm with everything closed.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Open Activity monitor and select All processes with nothing running, preferably after a reset and look if there is some runaway program.
    You could post a screenshot here.

10. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

You can download istat here: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20364/istat-pro

Good point on checking your activity monitor. If you are within the 14 days you could just take it back and exchange it no questions asked.

11. niclliot25 thread starter macrumors member

http://i.imgur.com/7tdMT.jpg

----------

Im thinking I might just to be on the safe side. Might as well take advantage of that while I can.

12. justperry, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Is MDWorker always running, it shouldn't.

BTW, where are you located, sometimes people are not aware of where you are, for instance if you are up in lets saY Canada or so it should have normal Temps but if you are on the equator Temps are always "much" higher.

Edit : I also see you have Kasperski, don't use that, use ClamXav and scan manually if you are afraid of viruses, you should read on it in the MR guides, GGJStudios is a user here and has some very good advise on this topic.

13. niclliot25 thread starter macrumors member

What's wrong with Kaspersky? I just got it for free from Best Buy with my purchase so I decided to install it and try it out.

I'm located in Southern California.

mdworker isn't always that high percentage wise. I just looked again and it's typically at 0.0 or 0.1.

14. justperry, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I never had a virus scanner for the last 12 years and I never got infected, this doesn't mean you can not get infected, but the chance is very low, there are no known OS X viruses until now, there is malware but if you read up on it (GGJStudios Guide) and be a responsible internet user you'll find out you won't really need a virus scanner which always runs in the background, running ClamAv manually is the better option.

GGJstudios Guide

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

California Temps are a bit higher so expect them to be a bit higher.

MDWorker shouldn't always run AFAIK, but maybe that changed in later OS X versions.

15. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

The aluminum exterior acts as a heatsink- much more so than plastic does, for sure.

But hey, who am I to get in the way of an opportunity to take a jab at Apple?

16. niclliot25 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info!

It's been a bit warm in my house the past few days, that could be attributing to it. I'll give it some time and see how it goes I guess.

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I am in the tropics and My Powerbook G4 runs about 10º-15º more than when I am in Holland, Temperature here is about 30º while in Holland they are average 20º in Summer.
    With normal usage it runs here at 60º while in Holland most of the time around 48º, Max 53º.
    That's why I use a small fan here, 60º-62º the whole time lower its life.

* All Temps in Degrees Celsius.

18. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your temps are normal and nothing to worry about. These things can go up to nearly 100C (sometimes slightly above) when really pushing them.