13" rMBP - Sharp edges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Nov 3, 2012.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Anyone else find the sharp edges irritating on the forearms?

I know about 'proper typing position' however as a laptop I'm not always using it in places where you can position your arms so they don't touch the edge, such as high tables, using on the couch, away from desk etc...

I just wish Apple would round the edges so it doesn't bother anyone.

2. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

3. markus843 macrumors regular

Aren't there things called palm covers or something? Maybe that could help you

4. cire1244 macrumors regular

5. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Hover

You people have weak limbs, notebook has to be light and thin for carrying around, now the edges are sharp, oh my gosh.. Grow some strength. My wrists hover when I type, non of me touches the palm area when I type. I carry my 17" MBP everywhere, I have new muscles and strength every day since 2007.

6. theineffablebob macrumors regular

Lots of people don't like the sharp edges. You know why Apple doesn't fix the sharp edges? Because Apple thinks that the sharp edges make the laptop more aesthetically pleasing. If they valued ergonomics then they'd have fixed the edges a long time ago, but at Apple, industrial design is king.

7. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

Speck is coming out with a hard shell case that will cover the entire body of the laptop. It will have round edges all around, including the area at the edges of the palm rest. Even if there is a sharp edge anywhere, you can just sand it round. I've done it before.

8. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

This sounds crazy, but it works well. Take a nail file, and lightly run it across the sharp corner just to take the sharpness off - it works and you won't even be able to tell you did it. Just go lightly and take your time.

9. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

My typing posture does not have my forearms resting on the edges. My hypothenar eminence rests beneath the arrow pad/fn-ctrl keys and elevates my forearm above the edge. Then my forearms rest on the edge of the table my computer is on. What is your typing posture like?

10. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

a pound difference in weight is not even noticeable to me and people go nuts over lightness and thinness at any cost. I like the razor sharp edges though.
    If some of you guys are so bothered by it you might want to consider a palm rest protector like the one from Moshi, could save your life.

11. Maczor macrumors regular

Try cutting / curving out your arms with an army knife so they fit the notebook better. Why ruin a completely nice notebook when you can mod yourself instead? Give it some thought... :rolleyes:

12. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Unibody design is gorgeous.

Agreed with both above.

Sometimes we have to modify ourselves to use the tools which are already made pretty perfect. These machines are engineered so zen, clean sharp lines, round lines and surfaces are great for walls in a house, all my corners in the house are round, no sharp corners.

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Smashing the sharp edges flat using a hammer is far better. It's a way to give it a personalized look.

Kidding aside, I keep mine sharp. It works better as a razor to shave with that way.

OK... OK, I will be serious. It irritates me that Apple places style over good ergonomics & common sense. But hey, that's Apple.

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Something more mundane:

Pop the rear up with a thick magazine so the front edge is slightly tilted downwards and give your palms an "easier" rub angle may help.