13" rMBP Speakers better than 15" rMBP Speakers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by looking4anotebo, Oct 29, 2013.

1. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

I was in an electronics store recently, looking at all Apple laptops. Out of all the ones that I tested, the 13" rMBP speakers sounded the best. The 15" sounded good as well but the 13" speakers definitely were louder, wider sound stage, better.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was surprised because the 15" has the speaker grills. It could have been defective but it's unlikely.

I'm also wondering if last years 13" rMBP has the same speakers or if they improved them even more with this years model.

2. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Never heard anyone say that...

I doubt the 13" speakers are better...

3. looking4anotebo thread starter macrumors 6502

4. that1guyy macrumors 6502

The 15inch has better speakers and they're bigger as well.

5. teddat macrumors member

teddat

I noticed this as well. there's some sound that also fires downward from the back cover vent holes. makes for a wider sound stage. I didn't notice this on the 15in. I also haven't compared back to back.

6. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

From my observations, the 13'' is a tad bit louder, but the 15'' has a fuller (better) sound.

7. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

It could be just the positioning of the speakers. The way the sound comes out and starts bouncing around might sound better to your ear.

8. covertash macrumors member

This.

It's quite possible that if the 13" is placed in a less than ideal surface (ie. on your lap, on a cushion/pillow, etc.), it could potentially sound worse.

With that said, it does sound pretty fantastic as is though. :D

9. DrkStr macrumors newbie

I haven't tried the new speakers on the 15", but I'm loving the speakers on my new 13". Way better than my Asus. The sound coming out of the side heat vents surprised me, but it makes sense.

10. looking4anotebo thread starter macrumors 6502

I tested them all on a wood table.

Does anyone have older 13" rMBP and the new Haswell 13" rMBP? I'm curious if there is any difference in speaker quality.