13" rMBP users, enjoying os Sierra more than El cap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Nov 7, 2016.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

just as smooth / smoother / less smooth?

what year machine do you have also? thanks!

2. monkeydax macrumors 6502

There isn't a huge difference. Or maybe any perceivable difference at all.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Do you guys remember what Mavericks was like on your machine, if you have a retina old enough for that? 2012 or 2013 I think,

4. fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

I'm on a 2010 and I honestly have not noticed a difference besides the siri icon.

5. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I'm on Sierra rMBP 13" 2015
    I like Siri, overall not much different in the UI, but I am experiencing a few crashes and spinning 'beach balls', more than with El Cap
    Mainly in Safari
    Hope apple fix these bugs.

6. thadoggfather, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016

thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

^ Do you think its os sierra or safari 10 causing it (the beachballs)? cause you can put safari 10 on el cap, in an update over app store

I partitioned 40gb of my 256 on 13" for El Cap, to compare between OS'es. On 10.11.6 with it, and 9.0.1 safari,

and recently loaded win10 pro boot camp on my 2015 12" rMB 40gb cut up, with MacOS sierra for the rest too,

Too bad I forgot that once you go to a certain OS version with certain firmware on rMBP, can't load Mavericks (wanted to try now old school skeumorphic on a retina screen again, such a nerd)

My late 2013 came out when Mavericks was still the latest and greatest, but unable to load it now.

7. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi

I'm not sure.

thanks

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

no worries!

just did a boot up test, to login screen.

around 10.97 seconds for sierra, 7.98 seconds for el cap (with a smaller partition, no less)

on late 2013 rMBP 13"

this may or may not be reflected in overall performance post boot up, but in limited use, el cap seems snappier/ more optimized.

9. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi

We have El cap in the office. I have Sierrra on my 2015 rMBP we dont upgrade in the office until I'm happy
    We WONT be upgrading yet in the office.

10. Rigby macrumors 601

2015 13" MBP here. I haven't noticed any difference in performance. I don't use many of the new headline features (like Siri), but I really enjoy some of the smaller changes (e.g. finally having the option to sort folders at the top in Finder).

11. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Definitely noticing an occasional choppy scroll on sierra compared with el cap, on same webpage (macbook pro forum) and same hardware,

might be a graphics driver issue, if its system wide and doesn't seem specific to safari 10 but the os its running on

or simply inefficiencies/lack of polish and optimization

glad i carved out a small partition for el cap while sierra shakes out. worst comes to worst ill give it more partition space though it seems like i may not be able to so i can always delete partition after doing a carbon copy, and clone it to a new partition

El Cap isn't bad :)

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Sierra is great on my (soon to be handed-down) late 2013 13" MBP (2.4GHz i5).

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

probably the smallest upgrade I remember. I could be using El Capitan and would not notice a difference. It is nice to have the Mac unlock with my Apple Watch, but that is about it.