13" rMBP vs 11" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bizack, Nov 1, 2012.

1. bizack macrumors 6502

Just received my 13" rMBP yesterday. 8/256/i7 config. Comparing it against my 2012 11" MBA 8/256/i7. I guess the big question is... is it worth it? For me (after selling my MBA) the answer is yes. It's basically a 13" MBA on speed with an incredible display and decent battery life (you will _not_ get 7 hours out of this machine... closer to 5 or 5.5). I'm using it primarily for software development and graphic design (for iOS Apps). Compile times are a bit faster, the screen real estate (I have it scaled to the highest res) is obviously larger and as many have mentioned, once you use a retina display it really is difficult to look at any other display. It's a fairly compact machine... I can still use it in cafes and on my lap comfortably (it doesn't get that hot). It's certainly no match for the 15" rMBP, but I bought this model because of it's compactness and weight. The HD 4000 with 756MB of shared RAM actually pushes things along quite nicely. I wouldn't use this with the intention of being a primary gaming machine, but as a daily ultra compact notebook, it's quite excellent (I don't use an external display, so this is what I look at all day). If you go into this purchase realizing you're an early adopter, and that the 'Pro' monicker is really because of the display, you won't be disappointed. If you're looking for something that matches the 15" in power, then yes, you'll be somewhat disappointed. It's a pricey machine, but if you're using it almost every hour of everyday like I do, it's money well spent. Feel free to ask any questions.

2. Maczor macrumors regular

Glad to hear your happy. I also use mine for software development and I'm completely happy. Been using a late 15" cMBP before, but again, I have nothing to complain about... compile times are more than decent and things run well. I bought it mainly because of the size and because I hate the silver bezel on the MBA and the screen ( not that it's mega-bad, it's actually decent, but dunno... I was simply unhappy while looking at it ).

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Also went from an Air to the 13" rMBP. You described the differences well.

I do find it's quite a bit hotter on the bottom than my Air. Screen is the wow factor for sure, other than that I liked my Air a lot!

4. JCT macrumors 6502

My 8/256/i7 rMBP 13" shows up tomorrow and will replace my 2012 CD2, 4GB 11" MBA.

Should be a big step up for me and it sounds like the 11' to 13" transition wasn't too tough for you!