13" rMBP vs. 11" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac Boy-Canada, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Mac Boy-Canada, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

Mac Boy-Canada macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm a graduating medical student about to begin my residency in July (definitely a change from when I made my username in 2004!).

I'm looking to get either a 13" rMBP (made more enticing with the pricedrop) or a an 11" MBA. My logic is that with the price cuts, the 13" MBA doesn't make as much sense for me (if I'm going to pay for that, I may as well get the retina display and more RAM). I'll be someone who will be traveling around the hospital a lot, possibly even biking/walking to work frequently. In terms of use, I'll likely be using the notebook for internet/Word/possibly some EndNote databases and Excel - nothing too onerous, I'm a heavy DropBox user too, so storage isn't a big deal. In addition, I have an external monitor that I use when I need more screen real estate/have a bunch of windows I need open at once.

I've seen the two at the Apple Store, and while I love the size of the 11", I love the screen of the 13". I would likely buy either refurbished.

Any thoughts on the portability of these devices for day-to-day use? In addition, if I went with the 11" MBA, I could also afford to get an iPad for reading publications. Thoughts on these devices for use in medicine as well?

2. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

After owner a 11 MBA, I would pick the MBA over the rMBP ONLY IF the MBA had battery life like its older brother.

Since it doesn't, I'd pick the rMBP all day any day

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Soliciting opinions on similar devices is one thing but asking about 2 different sizes is another. It's completely subjective.

Both will do what you need but they are your eyes. I for one could not use an 11" display.